1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And the John Edwards verdict is...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, May 31, 2012.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I'll admit I voted for him for senate in '98, largely out of protest for his opponent who I absolutely hated.

I'm not surprised by the lack of a verdict on 5 counts and a not guilty on the 6th today. The case was weak from the get-go and didn't improve with the trial.

Since I don't expect the government to try him again, I'll be curious to see what, if anything, he's able to do with the rest of his life. I surely hope our shared alma mater doesn't rehire him.

2. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

If we're going to call out everyone who ever voted for or supported a sleazeball in an election, we're gonna be here a while.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The country rallies around a president who just lost his beloved wife and we have unity!!!

4. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Prosecutors may well not have bothered with a similar case if he wasn't John Edwards.

I still kind of want to see him roasted, but the public trial has taken care of that. The legality of what he did was murky but it's hard to prove much more than that.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't remember the timeline on all of his fooling around but if it started after 2004, chances are it wouldn't of happened if he was in the White House.

Doesn't change the fact he's a fucking scumbag though.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Tempted to say that Edwards "got off" tonight on the newscasts. Tempted.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

First instincts are never wrong.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'd like to believe Edwards wasn't always such a sleezy puke. That the fame and people who wanted to starfuck him (literally, it seems) corroded his soul a bit. But that's probably horseshit. He was just a halfway decent actor, a guy who should have been a flawed character in a John Grisham novel and instead ended up in a David E. Kelly drama.

In truth, he was likely always an asshole. The fact that he essentially used both the death of his son, and his wife's cancer, as a manipulative tool to try and win votes is just about as disgusting as you can imagine.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

That photo of the smiling guy above? Had a bit more gravitas than Edwards and that's coming from someone who didn't vote for him twice.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I read Politico's "Edwards Next Step" story. What a pile of crap. Oprah? Do the born-again thing? Counsel other pols?
    Did they miss the millennium? Reality show baby! Not Dancing with the Stars, but maybe a Keeping up with the Edwards clan, the mistress, their kid, his daughter, her husband and the two little kids.
    People hate the guy so much they would watch it just to swear at the TV.

Draft saved Draft deleted