1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And the John Edwards verdict is...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, May 31, 2012.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There used to be so much love on here for Edwards.

I remember one thread from years ago on which some guy called me a buffoon (that was definitely the word) for saying that Edwards' "two Americas" message was bullshit populism and that he was a phony, after someone linked to a somewhat sympathetic Charles Pierce Esquire article about Edwards, in which Pierce seemed to boil down criticism of Edwards to "fag baiting," if I remember the story correctly.

I also remember Chris Jones saying his effort to write about Edwards made him despise Edwards and everyone around him, and if I recall correctly, he said it was the only time he ever walked away without a story he tried to get.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was dead wrong about Edwards - I admit it. Thought Obama was too raw and liberal to win, Hillary had too much baggage. The guy is an idiot. And when he gave his first interview to ABC, and required it to air against the opening of the Beijing Olympics and then got pissed when ABC aired some of it ahead of time....what a dirtbag.

3. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I'm not too proud to say I felt like that at the time, and I shudder thinking back on him as a VP pick now. I feel for his kids. I am not a person who expects perfect moral behavior out of a politician I think is doing a decent job, but there is a basic human being line that what's come out of this mess crossed for me.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It would have been interesting to see if it would have been any different if the ticket had been flipped. I don't know if he would have won, but I tend to think people would have liked him more than Kerry.

Can you imagine what things would be like today if he had won in 2004? A president with a wife dying of cancer and using what would have been re-election funds in 2008 to pay off a mistress? A child that may or may not be his?

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Jones:I disagree, however, with Charlie here. I think John Edwards is a fake, and he's surrounded by the worst collection of political greaseballs I've ever encountered. They lie through their teeth when they smile at you.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/44539/

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Hard to believe Charlie fell in love with him. :D

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Congratulation, John Edwards. You're still guilty of being an a_shole.

Worse, he is associated with North Carolina. Ugh ...

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If he's president, I doubt the other stuff comes out, and the wife dies a sympathetic death and receives a funeral befitting a First Lady.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Fenian Bastard:
    There's a lot of steel to that Edwards cat. You saw tonight what a killer lawyer he must have been.

Italian Stallion:
    I like Edwards a lot. No matter how many times he tells me about his daddy working at the mill, I bite. I think he's the most genuine of the candidates. And he think he scored big tonight.

Hondo:
    I've always felt the wrong member of the Edwards family was running for President. The wife has 10 times more on the ball than he does, with the exception of the day she decided to marry the schmuk.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/1611804/

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

No doubt, Edwards had a lot of charm, and there's a reason he got as far as he did. Emphasis on HAD a lot of charm.

Draft saved Draft deleted