1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

.... and the horse you rode in on

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ace, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Better ... but the metaphor is still a bit lost on me.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think if I were "AP Sports Writer" from Seattle, I would have punched the AP cliche' generator button one more time to come up with something a little less confusing, though equally trite.

Perhaps...

SEATTLE (AP) -- The United States Postal Service may want to look into hiring Seattle Seahawks running back Sean Alexander when his football career is over. Because as he proved Monday night, neither rain, nor sleet, nor snow, can stop him from delivering when it counts.

(Now excuse me while I go barf.)

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

By I.C. WEINER
    The Associated Press

SEATTLE -- Thank God Shaun Alexander is black.
    Because if he weren't, nobody at snowy Qwest Field would have seen the person who may have saved the Seattle Seahawks after his heroic 201-yard, 40-carry performance lifted his team to a 34-24 win against the Green Bay Packers on a Lambeau-like Monday night.

No?

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Mystery Meat wins. That was a hella lead!

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

did your fingers bleed when you typed that?

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I don't understand. Why was he riding a horse?

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

He said that's a second-day story, so the AP's failed the reader right there.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I hope Alexander gave that writer a towel to clean himself up following that fellatio fest.

10. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

It returned Alexander to his league MVP level of 2005 after three months of irrelevance caused by a badly bruised left foot that eventually became broken and caused a seven-week layoff.

the whole thing is a disaster - but using 'caused' twice in one sentence deserves a special mention

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Isn't "ride the white horse" a euphemism for snorting cocaine? I mean, if you must use a metaphor, find something else that was not so open to interpretation.

How about:

By Novelist Wannabe
    AP Sports Writer
    Matt Hasselbeck found tough sledding in his return to the Seahawks lineup, but the Packers' defense looked snowblind when Shaun Alexander had the ball.
    Rushing 40 times for 201 yards, both career highs, Alexander carried the Seahawks past Green Bay in the first NFL game played in snowy conditions in Seattle.

12. joe

joe Active Member

The phrase is, "Fuck you, and the horse you rode in on."

Draft saved Draft deleted