1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

... and the first cancellation is...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

CBS's "Made in Jersey," after just two shows. Saw it last week and, honestly, didn't think it was bad at all.

http://tvline.com/2012/10/10/made-in-jersey-cancelled/

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I had my money on "Partners."

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

CBS can afford to be quick with a kill, hell they kill shows that would be top-rated on other networks.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Wasn't that the show with the panty flash in the season preview trailer? Never got a chance to watch, but sorry it's gone

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Never understood why a network cancels a show after 1 or 2 episodes. If they didn't think it was that good to begin with, why air it? And if they do think it should be aired, maybe they should give viewers a chance to discover the show, or figure out if they like it.

Stuff like that is why I rarely watch network TV shows anymore. Why bother getting involved in a show if it's just going to get canceled or shifted to a different timeslot?

6. DanOregon

A lot of it has to to with the upfronts. The networks guarantee a rating for ads purchased back in May, if they have a show that doesn't look like it will meet that guarantee, they dump it.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The short answer is, the ratings sucked and they dropped significantly for the second episode. That's a very bad sign. They don't have anywhere to move it, and they can't leave it in place where it will screw up the lead-in to Blue Bloods.

It's a quick hook to be sure, but CBS is in ridiculously good shape in prime time these days, so it really doesn't have to be patient here. I think CBS only had four new shows on the schedule, which is kind of amazing. Everything else was renewed.

8. workerB12

workerB12 Member

Is "The Neighbors" cancelled yet? Or did they just double down on Modern Family to help with the premiere of Nashville? Anyways my guess is The Neighbors.

9. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

"The Neighbors" aired as the lead-in to the "Modern Family" double down.

10. DanOregon

I always feel bad for the new shows that don't get a halloween episode. You figure you get cast in the pilot in March, get picked up in May, spend all summer doing press, seeing your face in magazines and on TV ads and then two weeks or so in - it's all gone.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Next to Guys with Kids and Neighbors, Partners is Cheers.

12. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

The wife was watching this. I left the room after 15 minutes. Same weekly legal drama, but the gimmick is that there's a tough Jersey girl. So what? The whole Jersey thing is played out.

Draft saved Draft deleted