1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And the fattest state in the U.S. is...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ServeItUp, Jul 1, 2009.

1. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Well, we figured it out after a while, but initially we were really doing it wrong. We didn't plan meals and we wasted a lot the first couple of weeks. Eventually we started to plan meals for the entire week and lowered our grocery bill.

But buying fruits and vegetables definitely added a cost that we normally would not incur during our trips to the grocery store.

2. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

A produce market opened up read down the street from my house. Jackpot. Red Bell Peppers 50 cents per. Fresh corn earns 4 for a buck. Very much appreciated.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

On a reporter's salary, I've found that starvation is a great diet. Don't know where I'd be if not for Ramen noodles. A different flavor every day. I know it's not good nutritionally but what's a guy to do in these tough times?

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Buying fruits and veggies and not buying the other garbage....shouldn't that at least equal out?

I've been buying a lot more F&V at the store lately and cutting out the crap. Our grocery bill is almost always lower.

And before we go to the store -- usually on Sunday or Monday -- we plan just about every dinner for the week. Leftovers are often the next day's lunch, which also helps cuts costs.

I suppose it also depends on which grocery store you visit. We have a place called Bottom Dollar and it's butt-ass cheap. Lots of Food Lion-brand stuff. Every now and then, we'll "splurge" and go to Giant or Bloom.

And to Drip's point....I can afford not to eat Ramen noodles, but dammit, I still do. Those things are delicious. That's my dinner at least once every week or two.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Well, I guess we should define "healthy."

If you want to eat a diet that would pass every possible requirement that a dietician would throw at you, that would probably get expensive.

But if you just want to come in reasonably healthy and light-years healthier than fast food, there's no reason you shouldn't be getting by on a very cheap diet.

Ramen noodles are hardly the only cheap option out there. Essentially, with food, you can always get two out of the following three attributes: cheap, good and fast. Ramen Noodles are cheap and fast. But there are lots of cheap and good options out there if you teach yourself some basic cooking, but they won't be fast.

6. JackReacher

Good points, Rick.

Also, for those who like tuna, that's one hell of a cheap dinner/lunch. I take tuna sammiches to work at least once a week.

While we're on fish, I've been getting fresh talapia at the market a lot lately. Like $3/lb, which usually gives me three big pieces. That's a dinner and a lunch right there.

This ain't that hard, folks. You just have to take the time to plan everything out.

7. nafselon

Where the hell do you live at where they sell fresh tilapia for $3/lb?

8. JackReacher

Northern Virginia, and it might have been 3.99/lb.

Threw the fish in a pan with EVOO for about 5 min on each side. Then threw some honey BBQ sauce on 'em. Soooo good.

9. Gues#t

Gues#t Guest

Last time I tried tilapia it tasted like sand.

I thought the fattest place in the U.S. was wherever the sports talk show hosts happened to be congregating at a given time.

10. nafselon

I like to bake it for about 10 mins. Little salt & pepper, a squeeze a fresh citrus and a sliter of margarine if you so desire.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. JackReacher

Yeah. That ain't bad. That's classic. I tried to mix it up a little with the honey BBQ. Turned out great. Not sure what else you could do with it beyond that. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I'm going to be up there pounding down some fried cheese curds this weekend. I'll be doing my part, damnit!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted