1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And the fattest state in the U.S. is...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ServeItUp, Jul 1, 2009.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'd have thought Texas too, given that Houston was not long ago the "fattest" city in America.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Enough of the Mississippi dumping. I'm sure many of you who posted have never spent one hour in the state. I'm quite sure there are a large number of posters who could stand to lose a few pounds too.
    Mississippi has problems but this country, as a whole, has a problem with weight.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Easy, drip. Considering the softball this report offered those who would put us down, I thought this thread was fairly restrained.

5. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I can honestly say I've done my part over the years to keep Louisiana in the hunt. But damn it, if I'm not going to get any cooperation from the rest of the state, I'm going back on a diet.

6. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I'm shocked Pennsylvania isn't at the top. All those Stiller fans drinking IRRRRRNNNN and slamming perogis in their pie holes. And all those cheesesteaks in Philly.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Spent more than enough time there back in the 80s. It has its good points, at least before Katrina blew most of them away in 2005.

And, yeah, sure I could stand to lose a few. But so could people from every place.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That's because everywhere else in Texas, it's hot as hell and the fat melts off you.

In Houston it's hot too, but the 90% humidity keeps the fat from evaporating.

9. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

In all seriousness though, poverty and obesity go hand in hand. It's a lot cheaper to get quick meals at McDonald's than it is to eat healthy.

My wife and I underwent a lifestyle change last year and our grocery bill went up an average of $100 a month. As nice as it would be to get the recommended amount of fruits and vegetables, I can't do it on a reporter's salary.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Wisconsin will expand again!

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You were doing it very, very wrong. It'll take some cooking and planning, but there's no way it should be costing you more.

12. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I've really noticed this.

Over the past three months I've worked out more consistently than I have in my entire life, dropping 25 pounds and looking fit and athletic.

I'm slowly trying to eat better, and for the most part am doing a good job. I would do better, but find it expensive to eat exactly the way I'd like.

Draft saved Draft deleted