1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And the fattest state in the U.S. is...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ServeItUp, Jul 1, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Doesn't Wisconsin usually represent here? All those dairy products plus eight months of winter.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Agree completely. When I was in college, I lived on a walking campus. Just going back and forth to class I walked about two miles a day. After college, I moved to Mississippi and pretty much stayed in the house. There are no sidewalks anywhere other than a few blocks downtown (and sometimes not even there). I tried to find places to go walking, but if the lack of safe passage doesn't get you then the weather will.
    Walking along the gravel shoulder of a two-lane highway, with large trucks whizzing by, in 100-degree July heat is not exercise.

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

When you turn on a faucet in Mississippi, gravy comes out.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

On a serious note, obesity is more of an economic issue than a nutrition one. On a day to day basis, people with limited money will spend it to get as much food as they can. It is cheaper to live on a high-fat diet than it is on a nutritious one. Which is why the poorer states and the highest hunger rates are also the fattest ones.

6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I thought Missouri would be in the mix too. Tons of BBQ, four months where it's a sauna, four months of deep freeze.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That is very true. As a general rule, it costs more to eat healthy.

In the deep south, you have more poverty, more racial diversity (which, as Steak pointed out, is a factor), more fried foods and fewer outdoor exercise places.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

On a cultural note - one of the reasons fried chicken is often associated with poor Southerners is that it was the best way to cook the bird and last for a few days without spoiling.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There are thousands of miles of hiking and biking trails out here -- in the mountains and in the cities. Colorado has been the fittest for a long time, and it'll be hard to knock it from its perch because people are so active.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

And it doesn't rain as much as it does in western Washington. :)

11. Editude

Editude Active Member

Heard a sad radio report the other day about a man who felt bad but said he couldn't afford to feed his family healthy food. A 99-cent burger at Jack in the Box is a lot cheaper even than buying a chicken and making soup.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Like hell that man's family is only eating a 99 cent burger at jack in the box. They are eating two or three and a soda, more than likely.

Meanwhile, I can make fresh, healthy bread for about 40 cents a loaf (less if I really went out of my way to buy the ingredients in bulk). I can make an excellent homemade pizza that feeds four with leftovers for about $6.

Don't worry about buying "healthy" as in the stuff from the health food section. Just buy simple, fresh ingredients and cook. It'll be a lot cheaper and healthier than fast food, though of course you are giving up speed.

Draft saved Draft deleted