1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And the derivative crap keeps rolling...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

NBC is bringing "Knight Rider" back. At least their not bringing Hasselhoff back, too.
    http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-News-Blog/Todays-News/Nbc-Takes-Knight/800023161

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

My only question is what kind of car are they going to use? The new Challenger would be pretty sweet.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

So, do TV execs sit in their offices and think:
    "Here's an idea. Let's take a show that truly sucked first time around, revive it and make it even worse. Yeah, the dumbass public will buy that."

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Criticize all you want, but as long as this keeps working, it will keep happening.

It's all about execution. The new Battlestar Galactica sounded like a bad idea, too, but I gave the miniseries a chance out of my affection for the original. If they nail the Knight Rider movie the same way the creators of that Galactica remake nailed it, they'll have a successful series.

Same story with the Transformers movie. I loved the old cartoon and comic, but I had zero interest when I heard about the movie. Then I saw the trailers and heard the reviews and ended up seeing a very enjoyable movie. Even these recycled ideas can be the basis for a good television show or movie if executed properly.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Only a stupid tv exec would think that show sucked.

That show kicked ass you grouchy old man!

7. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Knight Rider did not suck at all. Anyone who thinks it did is experiencing revisionist history.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sorry. I just couldn't get into a show where a splashy car sounded like an old fussbudget.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how well it would hold up now. I know there was a TV movie in the '90s that wasn't particularly good, and some other follow-ups without the Hoff that I didn't even bother to watch.

But give it a revamp like Galactica or Transformers and we might have something.

10. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I'm wondering what they'll do with KITT. Think of today's cars: they interact, there's OnStar which can open your doors, give directions, tell you where local establishments are,..... many have tv's, DVD's, Playstations.....,... GPS, and there's a Lexus that can even park itself.

KITT is going to need to fly for people to be impressed.....

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Ain't you heard of turboboost?!?!

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

[​IMG]

Koenigsegg CCX plays the role of the new Knight Industries 2000 in the upcoming film. Of course, that doesn't help us in our Hasselhoff role-playing, since the he 4.7L, twin-supercharged, 806hp car costs approx. $750,000.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted