1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And the band played on...not

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DocTalk, Oct 4, 2008.

1. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

http://www.madison.com/wsj/mad/top/307875

A forty year playing streak ends with the whole UW band suspended until further notice. I wonder if the hazing rules extend to the athletes as well.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

The Stanford Band thinks Wisconsin got off a little light on this hazing allegations.

Who in the hell are they going to get to do the "Fifth Quarter" tonight at Camp Randall??????

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Do they have an alumni band?

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

One time at band camp...

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

The alumni band will be unavailable to perform after kickoff. They will be too smashed during tailgating.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Drinking is nothing new with a band. Racy jokes? Well ... it IS college, isn't it?

But forcing stuff upon underclassmen and hazing is entirely too much. I really thought that my second band director in school was heading in that direction. It was bad enough ... the SOB resigned under heavy pressure a year after I graduated. Goodbye and good riddance.

Too bad for Wiscy, but good that the school was willing to put its foot down. Thing is, the school will want to act quickly. One year, my school got a berth for a bowl over a more-deserving school - at least in football terms - because the latter didn't have a band at the time, which was disbanded for inappropriate behavior.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Exactly... it isn't wisconsin football without the band.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    These guys are looking for a gig. They'll fit right in.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I never knew Bubbler played the sax...

10. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

sweet.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Hell of a book, hell of a movie, hell of a cast

12. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

While on the bus headed home from an away football game in high school, my high school's color guard director -- a fairly attractive woman from a nearby university -- wound up losing her job for taking part in a game of truth or dare with us.

I think what pushed it over the line was when she bit my friend's tongue. But hey, she was dared.

Man, that was forever ago.

Threadjack over.

Draft saved Draft deleted