1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And the award for the worst occupation of 2015 goes to ....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baron Scicluna, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

My bad, I misunderstood. Yeah, Yahoo does that all the time when they know people will rail against it.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Outrageous.

First-world problem.

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

The people that have called them on it have been run out of the company. Our pro writer covers 5-6 games a week, travels for road games and is expected to put down 40 hours a week. Do the math. The government ruled that hours traveling for a job counts as work, too, by the way. This guy works 90-100 hours a week. I only work 60-70. I'm going to turn them in?

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Another thing, even if you put up with it for decades, win awards, etc. Odds are you will have no chance to retire on your own terms. Likely bought out well before you are 60. To me, THAT is the thing that kills me.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"Is expected". How about expecting to get paid for your time?

Put down 60 on your timecard and make copies. Carry a tape recorder into your meeting with your boss in your pocket, unless you're in one of the few states that doesn't permit it. The choice is either you work 40 or get paid for 60, and you won't change your timecard because that would be falsifying records, which could also get you fired.

Make a list of everything you do and how long it takes you to do it so when they try the old "you should get it all done in 40 BS, you have documentation that you're not slacking off. And your pro beat writer should Mapquest the travel times to each place if he drives, or make copies of his flight times, so that is proof that he is on company time.

You boss threatens you for not changing your timecard, you have him on tape. Do this every week, if necessary. After a while, let them know you have them on tape. You will either have a job for a very long time, or get a very nice lawsuit settlement.

Draft saved Draft deleted