1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And the award for the worst cutline goes to....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jakewriter82, Dec 27, 2007.

1. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

"Daredeivl #50 goes around Atlanta's Steve Thomas for a shot during the second quarter of their game Saturday night in the Dingleberry Arena. "

What's even sadder is that the Daredevils are the home team.

Does your place have photogs write their cutlines?

Ours are pretty good about getting the facts right and names for the people in the shot...

Anyone got some groaners that they've seen or heard about?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I hear Dingleberry Arena is a real piece of shit.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It really stinks in there, too.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Daredevil #50 -- full of fail!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

We have a photographer who can't spell rhino. Last week he asked me why a boys basketball player wasn't listed on the roster.
    I looked over his shoulder.
    "That's a volleyball roster, you jackass!"

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I wouldn't trust a photographer to do anything beyond taking the picture.
    Years ago the SE and me were being introduced to the Leaf Desk system by some guy I didn't know. He showed us how to use the keyword filter for photos: BKC, HKN, BBO, FBN, etc.
    I asked who was putting the keywords on the photos. The guy says the photographers do it. I said I wouldn't trust a photographer to do anything except take the picture. The SE cringed. Later he told me the guy was the photo editor of AP L.A. I said I didn't care. I'm right and everybody knows it.

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I hate to read captions written by photographers that are barely changed or edited by lazy deskers who just throw it on the page.

"Jean Smith No. 50, left of Dogpatch enjoys a laugh while making a point with Bob Jackson, right, also from Dogpatch."

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

We write the cutlines after the photog sends in their photos.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

The people in the office are wondering what I'm laughing at.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

...some fucker...

11. TopNotch1127

TopNotch1127 New Member

If there is any debate whether or not a photog knows what he/she is talking about, I usually tell him or her what is occurring when he or she asks me for names.

But mistakes can still happen. I can't tell you how many times I've seen "Douchey McTurdmuffin looks to shoot against Podunk West High," when the kid is either passing or dribbling down the court ... and once, I think the kid was actually on defense. It's hard to shoot when you're on defense.

12. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

I'm so glad my frustration provides some amusement. It's just one more thing I'll include in my autobiography. I already figured out the title:
    "It Wasn't Funny at the Time"

Draft saved Draft deleted