1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And (surprise) She's Articulate too...bad, bad, headline on USA TODAY website.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DanOregon, Oct 23, 2007.

1. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

The "articulate" thing is sorta like some people's feeling that is a coach calls another coach's team "athletic," it means they have a lot of Black kids.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Articulate has been used for years as a code word for "doesn't speak in jive."

When describing someone as articulate, you almost always, white or black, mean eloquent.

Old guy on our staff used to always say, after covering a game in the inner city at one particular all-black school, "the kids at that school speak very well. They're very well behaved."

It's sort of a backhanded compliment.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

So does this quote about Carson make Vivian Stringer racist:

"I remember telling her, 'I'm so proud of you because you're so well-spoken. I know that you could be that person who could speak so well for me, the team and the hope of youth.' And that was before she ever came here."

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Re: And (surprise) She's Articulate too...bad, bad, headline on USA TODAY websit

I knew O'Reilly was at Inside Edition, but didn't know he was an old sportswriter.

Draft saved Draft deleted