1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And starting at quarterback for your Syracuse Orange...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

But he might want to learn to duck.

2. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

The Orangemen will be pining for the days of Troy Nunes

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I would say this is more of a reflection of Greg Robinson's decision-making than Doug Marrone's.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Not quite sure why people here have been so negative about this story. I agree with Webster, I think it's a pretty cool story. The kid was actually a higher rated football prospect in high school (he was the Gatorade National Football Player of the Year), and it now appears fairly clear he made a mistake by choosing basketball. He's got a one-year second chance window to rectify that, after four years away from the sport I'd think the odds will be stacked against him, but it takes balls to try it and I think it'll be interesting to see if he can do it.

5. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

3 teabags, actually.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

it is a pretty cool story. he is from the area and could've played football or basketball at syracuse but went to duke. i'm pretty sure his hs won the title game at the carrier dome.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Pretty genius move by Marrone - I figure Paulus is decent, but you start him if its close at all. Syracuse has been a dead zone for years. He gets some pub for the program, people might actually be enthused or at least curious enough to buy a ticket. The Orange will still probably stink - but much better to watch a guy like Paulus lead a team to a 4-8 record than someone else. Paulus knows how to win and I think his vibe will be valuable to Syracuse.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Calling Chuck Bednarik . . .

9. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Are we just ignoring the fact that Paulus' class was the first at Duke to not go to a Final Four since the 1994-95 class?
    Nice kid, but he's not a winner.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Coming out of HS, no one projected him as a potential NBA player, but he decided to play hoops because he liked it better. I know that he was an annoying player and no Johnny Dawkins or Bobby Hurley, but it's nice to see that a player chose with his heart instead of his wallet.

He was considered among the best QB prospects and now has one shot in his hometown to see if he can make an impact in football.

11. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

This is a pretty cool story. I am actually rooting for him. If there is a year in that conference to pull a stunt like this, this is it.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I didn't know the Big East played football...

Draft saved Draft deleted