1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And so it starts...free food cut from Mizzou pressbox

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Diabeetus, Aug 31, 2009.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I don't know what kind of awesome-ass school you went to in sixth grade that accounted for 30-minute naps in the middle of the day, but I am in awe.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Along with the tubes of splitting, fetid rotting flesh sitting in a malordorous swill at Notre Dame too, right?

With apologies to Starman (not sure I got it completely right).

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

And obviously they've spent the profits on free agents.

4. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Free food cut? Bad job by Mizzou. Why? Because there is nothing more dangerous than a hungry sportswriter with a column.

I am only half joking. Should we expect free food? NO. They shouldn't have to give us food.

But, as a PR strategy, it would be best if they didn't charge people. We are working, and for most of us, a run to the concession stand is not possible during the game. When you are putting in an 8-10 hour day at a football game, to essentially write about Mizzou (which is important to Mizzouo) is it bad public relations to feed the pigs?

Paying for it? I have no problem with it per se. But, it should be cheap and subsidized.

I tell my friends who always struggle for press coverage marketing events. Make sure there is food and drink there, and cater to the people you need most. It's good business.

5. EE94

EE94 Guest

I'm not approving an expense for lunch in a press box, at least if you get a per diem on the road.
    If its a home game, bring a sandwich from home - like I do

6. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

What's next, they are going to charge us for internet? Ohh wait, NCAA basketball...

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Your new nickname is Tuna.

8. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

if you drive 4 1/2 hours for state U's home game or 2 1/2 hours for the other state U's home game, i'm letting you expense lunch and dinner. home game for the school down the street, you are on you're own for meals.
    Garry Howard said at APSE that every year he cuts checks to teams for food.

9. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

I'm all for charging, as long as the food is of reasonable quality.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't know how I'd break the news to my Dad, the first time I brown-bag it to a press box. Without fail, he always asks me what I had to eat at the ballgame, and seems pleased when it's good food. Ah, parents.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It warms my heart to know that the JS is doing this as they cut their staff.

If you have a journalist on your staff who you think can't be unbiased because he gets a hotdog and a pepsi every Sunday, God help you and your staff.

Newspapers pay for food for one reason and one reason only, to be able to brag about it to other editors.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Missouri is not struggling for press coverage.

Draft saved Draft deleted