1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And so it starts...free food cut from Mizzou pressbox

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Diabeetus, Aug 31, 2009.

1. bob

bob Member

Free food is a bonus, not a right.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Free caffeine should be a right :)

3. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

BB Bobcat is right about Dodgers and Angels. When Disney bought the Angels in 1996, they reinstated free food. Then they saw how many freeloaders with a credential came in just for a meal, and they started charging again.

I can only imagine how many yahoos there could be in a college football press box. If this helps clean some of them out, it could be a great thing.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

How does this start anything? The Pirates started charging for food at least 14 years ago.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

And so it starts? No. And so it continues.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

A ham sandwich, chips and a cookie is not food unless you are in sixth grade.

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Was the bologna thin- or thick-sliced? Thick is better for sandwiches but thin is better to fry for breakfast.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I never eat free press-box food, anyway, expressly because I don't want anyone thinking I'm there for the free food.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I bet it was a big deal to a lot of student journalists, though.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I had a sports editor once who refused to eat press box food. I never saw much of a problem with it. Either way, it was one of the most insignificant parts of the job.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

NO LITTLE CAESAR'S AT JLA! WHAT"S WRONG WITH YOU, MAN?! Oh. yeah. I forgot. It's cardboard...

Old line about the Sports staff at the Michigan Daily (especially one former ESPN anchor and one current ESPN NFL insider)
    How many Daily staffers does it take to cover a football game at Michigan? Seven: One to write, six to eat the free hot dogs -- one of whom has to take the hot dogs back to the writer.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you're out of college, nobody thinks that...

Draft saved Draft deleted