1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And so it goes...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, May 9, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Five thousand posts. The moment I thought I'd wait until the next Maryland gubernatorial election to reach. And here we are with the Dumbicrats still not finalizing their nominee for President.

I don't remember the exact day I registered for my first account on SportsJournalists.com. I do know that shortly after I realized how anonymous most of the people on here are, I deleted that account with all of four posts to its credit and created this one. If you'll ask me where I got forever_town, I don't know. I guess I figured it was part of some obscure Bob Dylan lyric somewhere and just decided to run with it.

I'd look at the people with 10,000 or more posts and think of the huge mountain that number appeared to be. When you have a small number of posts and you average less than one post per day, even 1,000 posts seems like a big tall building you can't leap in a single bound. And for the longest time, I didn't even try.

But gradually, I started enjoying coming here to see the wisdom, the insanity and the inanity of SportsJournalists.com. Gradually, that post count began to climb ever so slowly. Before I knew it, I was logging 10, 20, 30 posts a day. Some days, I've even hit 100 posts in a day. Once upon a time, I saw my screen name on page 17 of the list of users by total number of posts. Now it's on page 3.

I think back to where I was when I first started posting here. I've gone through a lot in the past year-plus since I've made SportsJournalists.com one of my online stops. It's included a brief sojourn at a daily and a return to the weekly I edit. It's included the good, the bad and the ugly of the journalism world. It's included baring my soul in ways I never thought I would to a group of people that includes so many people in sports. But no matter whether the day has been one from Hell or I've logged on solely to express my joy over the little things I like about this profession, it feels great to be able to write to people who get this odd life we've chosen.

Thank you for reading, writing back, laughing, wringing your hands or pulling your hair out 5,000 times. And thank you for coming along for the ride.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I thought this was about Linda Ellerbee...

3. forever_town

She's the one who inspired my hedeline. :D

4. Overrated

Overrated Guest

What's Brian Ellerbe up to these days?

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Way to be, F_T. Now get a life while you still have the chance.

6. forever_town

If I didn't have a life, I'd probably be battling you for position on page 1 of the Top Posters gang.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Are you saying I don't have a life?

8. forever_town

I'm just saying what I'm saying. You chose to read into it.

But if I had no life, I'd probably have at least 10,000 more posts on here.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Well, here's to hoping your life progresses.

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Thanks for being part of the SportsJournalists.com crew, pueblo_siempre. SportsJournalists.com has been a good companion during the 2+ years I've spent living in various desolate wastelands. I'm sure my post count will plummet whenever I move to somewhere decent.

11. Way to go, f_t.
    We watch with interest your steady progress up towards where we sit at the summit of Mt. No-Life.
    Ellerbee's doing news specials for Nickelodeon, I believe, and some independent production.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Translation: Don't be like Mike.

:D

Draft saved Draft deleted