1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And on the Republican side for 2008

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jan 22, 2007.

1. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

I will say it again

If Rudy runs (& I think he is) he will be the one to beat for primary (at this time)

1.) Seen as favored by Bush & standing together (you will see ad after ad of 9/11 rubble with both of them). Dems may hate but Rep base loves that. We reward loyalty on our side & much of Bush old machine will support Rudy. Bush will likely "hand the torch" so to speak without getting overtly involved but the message will be sent.

2.) Great executive experience

3.) Likeable and has crossover support

4.) Tough guy that has cred on NS, homeland security, & crime

5.) Seen as a true leader & real guy more than a politician

6.) Good speaker & younger than McCain

Put money on Rudy right now

2. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Ronald Reagan rings a bell. Ronald Regan does not. But I digress.

I can understand business owners tired of regulations, but I don't think they're going to vote for a candidate based on that. Government is going to get smaller; it's going to get bigger. Big government is what we do around here.

Guns are going to stay ... the NRA will always make sure of that. Bush ordered government surveillance, so I don't think that's an issue for voters, as well.

That's why I feel those issues are a non-factor.

One thing you did leave out was the "moral" vote. Republicans used to own it, but as the election in November clearly indicates, the party can't claim that as a strength anymore. That's another reason why I think in McCain vs. Hillary, McCain walks away in a romp. McCain is a former POW who turned down a release from his prison camp because he didn't want to leave behind his fellow soldiers. Hillary's husband got a blow job in the White House (Don't all you Dems storm me at once please).

3. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Until he starts getting hammered for his adultery. Moral vote John. Don't forget about the conservatives in the South and Midwest. That's where Republicans get nominated.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yes. Red state America will vote for a pro-choice, PRO-GUN CONTROL candidate who moved his girfriend into the Mayor's mansion while kicking his wife out. And they will do so in the Republican primaries, when only registered R's can vote.

In other news, Mark McGwire never used steroids.

5. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Exactly.

6. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Well SCE,

You have your analysis & I have mine. I think Reps will look past some things to go for more electability (Dems did with John Kerry), plus for better or worse the world is changing.

I just think ppl want strength and leadership and will suffer some personal flaws. For instance, as much as I don't like Jim Webb I respect his response to the SOTU. Strong, clear, impassioned. That did him a lot of good on his side, his personal issues aside.

I think that is what people want & will gravitate to.

Also, I suspect that both sides want to tune the harsh ultra-partisanship down & a candidate that can appear to appeal to the other side may gain traction.

You bring up some strengths of McCain & I agree with those.

That is what makes it interesting. Lots of fun to see how it all unfolds.

I better bump off and get to some more work

PS - Zeke I am quite sure you are not a Rep, don't know politics, don't know our voters & your analysis is cartoonish at best. Check the polls Rudy is in great shape if not leading, while McCain is sinking somewhat.

Thus, If you think that Rudy has no chance you are a bigger fool than I thought.

In old news Zeke doesn't know shi@ - wocka wocka wocka - LOL

Check back in 4 months and get ready to put ketchup on your words - lol.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Oh, JDV, I defer to your more expert political expertise.

8. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Zeke12 I love your new picture. Keep up the good work.
    Hillary vs McCain for 08

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

A clean kitchen is a happy kitchen.

Republicans can spend 20 years telling their voters that abortion is the be-all end-all issue to vote on, then get a pro-choice nominee through to the general election.

Whatever.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

McCain could stumble for any of 3 reasons: His age, his temper or if the war actually becomes the mess most of you think it is now.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

"actually becomes"? Guy, when millenial cults are shooting down American helicopters, I'd say that's a mess. And it's not just board political antagonists. It's two-thirds of the voting public.

12. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Zeke's right John, you're just going to have to face it. I don't care how Rudy G. is doing in any poll. He's pro-choice and he's pro gun control. Along with his adultery charge, he'll get chewed up and spit out in the South and the Midwest. He's got NO chance in either area. The only way he could run for president is as an indepedent and then he'd be fucking the Republican party. Would he win against a Democrat in the General? Probably. But there's absolutely no way he gets the Republican nomination. He'll be good for a primetime speech at the Convention, but that's it. Maybe a VP candidate. But winning the presidential nominee is never going to happen unless he starts hunting four days a week and starts picketing outside abortion centers. And even then he's a long shot.

Draft saved Draft deleted