1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And on the Republican side for 2008

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jan 22, 2007.

1. McCain, Guiliani, and Romney all have no chance of winning the nomination. They should not even get involved and save their money.

I really hope Newt Gingrich is our next president.

2. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Likely choices ... remember, the guy who plays best to the base usually wins these things.

*-McCain (mainstream choice, the Dem primary being wide-open might hurt him, because it would limit crossover voters ... not popular with conservatives).
    *-Romney (his Mormon faith might scare off some evangelicals, but he's a solid conservative who can play on the left side of the aisle, too -- witness his health-care policy in Mass.).
    *-Thompson (out of the public eye for a while, but a solid guy in WI. His Bush Administration ties could hurt him in a year when an "outsider" might be best in the GOP primary).

Giulani has too many skeletons in his closet. So does Gingrich. Pataki is too liberal for the base. Few know much about Huckabee, Cox, Brownback, Gilmore or Tancredo. They'll be the Alan Keyes/Richard Lugar candidate -- good guys that play to a small part of the base, but don't have the name recognition to get it done.

3. McCain is also too liberal for most Republicans and Romney's mormon faith will turn off too many voters.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

A Little Rock television station has "confirmed" that Huckabee is filing papers to form the exploratory committee for the 2008 election. He's on Meet the Press tomorrow and then making a trip to Iowa.

http://www.todaysthv.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=40728

5. The war. The war. The war.
    Next question.

6. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I miss Alan Keyes. Proud to say I voted for a man based on his ideas for a better U.S. and not simply for the color of his skin!

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Voting for Alan Keyes is like voting for a black Lyndon LaRouche.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Voting for Alan Keyes is like voting for a black Alan Keyes. He is his own metaphor.

9. RokSki

RokSki New Member

God I hope it's Guilianni. That would be great theater.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

McCain will be the elephants' man. Book it.

I posted on another thread this trend: In every election since WWII, the GOP frontrunner going into the primaries has won the nomination. I have since learned of one exception: 1964, when Nelson Rockefeller divorced his wife and married his secretary -- something frowned upon back then -- and opened the door for Barry Goldwater.

11. RokSki

RokSki New Member

To me, McCain makes the most sense, in terms of electibility. Romney or Guilianni? Give me a break.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm a Jim Gilmore guy.

Sike.

Draft saved Draft deleted