1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And on sports, the cable guys!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Apr 20, 2011.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Inevitable, I suppose. But in a top-5 market?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/04/20/SP9F1J3TLF.DTL

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Corporate synergy.

3. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

This doesn't surprise me. That NBC affiliate has always had issues and I'd heard stuff about them producing more content from central hubs. CSN does good work, but that is rough to see.

4. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

A similar move has been rumored in Chicago for over a year.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

For years, they couldn't be seen over the air in San Francisco, until they finally moved their stick from the Santa Cruz mountains to Mt. San Bruno, where all SF stations broadcast from until they built Sutro Tower. The biggest question is, though, how to boil down the nightly half-hour show they do on cable into the 2-3 minutes they'll get on broadcast.

6. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I'd imagine they'd just reuse the highlights and shoot a separate shorter segment. That can't take that long, and CSN has a ton of resources (established a good pipline to SF State's broadcast school and pulled in a TON of talent of late).

And on a personal note, I truly hated those years when you couldn't get NBC over the air in the Bay Area.

Draft saved Draft deleted