1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And now ... the man in the middle, 6-foot-9, from Virginia Union!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CentralIllinoisan, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

We'll just have to agree to disagree. Webby, please keep this thread around till next summer.

2. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

i didn't say that. the original query was: who had the brighter future? i like the raptors because they have a potential frachise player and colangelo in charge. i like him better than a guy who gave tyson chandler a big extension and signed off on the ben wallace deal -- even if reinsdorf made him do it. which doesn't say much for paxson's clout.

3. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

disagree indeed!

by the way, i really enjoy watching the bulls play. i won't so much now that big ben is there tho. :'(

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

So the Craptors definitely have a better future right now, as opposed to maybe having a better future right now, or in two years or three years.

OK.

5. JME

JME Member

The Raptors have far more holes than the Bulls. Having a franchise player is great, and the champ usually has one, but realistically only 3 or 4 teams compete for a title every year.

You'd have to be out of your mind to think the Raptors have more promise than the Bulls. What's so great about Toronto?

Bosh is a budding star, Ford is a good PG when healthy and Bargnani is a rookie who may or may not be an all-star years down the road. They must have a bunch of talent hidden in the NBDL that I don't know about. Someone fill me in.

6. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Definitely a surprising move by the Bulls, who just got Ty Thomas in the draft.
    And if you remember the playoffs, Wallace was pretty darn awful. He's fading. Fast.

Lots of free agents still to be had .... can't say whether or not the Bulls are in the playoffs just yet.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

They've made the playoff two straight years, just added Ben Wallace and Tyrus Thomas, and you "can't say whether or not the Bulls are in the playoffs just yet?"

Wow.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I think people underestimate the power of a championship veteran who's been there, won that. Ben won't put up mammoth numbers, but his work ethic is unquestionable. Not a Bulls fan, or a Pistons fan, but I think the Bulls are so much better now.

And yes, I thought Devean George would amount to something. I was wrong on that. But Ben Wallace is a different story. Great move by the Bulls.

9. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

the problem with ben is that he's a declining player, who's moody, demands offensive touches and had little to do with the late-game situations that helped the pistons win because of his poor free-throw shooting and lack of offensive game.

what veteran wisdom is he supposed to impart on the bulls? how to demand touches in the first half when you have no offensive skill? how to avoid getting the ball in the fourth because you can't shoot free throws? how to decline for four straight years? how to let your own man score because you are too bust trying to fly across the lane for a weak-side block for an espn highlight? how is he gonna help hinrich, deng, gordon, nocioni, etc.? teach them how to be a fake?

at best he gives them attitude for three quarters, because he can't contribute in the fourth. some crafty veteran. but at least you get 6 points and 10 rebounds.

does anybody here really watch big ben play?

10. Songbird

new locale, rejuvenation. now he's got something to prove.

11. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

i hope you're right for the sake of the bulls' young talent, cuz i really like their core. i just worry that he and his contract will become albatrosses.
    i mean, what does it say for someone renowned for their alleged blue-collar work ethic, desire and hunger that he needs a new source of motivation and something to prove to stoke his fire. what, was playing for a title last year not enough?
    cuz he certainly did zero in the playoffs.

12. Songbird

true, he shouldn't need a new home for rejuvenation, but detroit may have been getting stuffy. it's tough to keep a good team like that intact for more than 5 years. only the dynasties do it, i.e. showtime lakers and bird-led celtics and jordan-pippen bulls, etc.

the more i think about it, the more i like the thought of wallace in a bulls uniform. a coach like skiles? i think he'll motivate ben plenty.

Draft saved Draft deleted