1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And now, the latest rush-to-get-the-story-up snafu

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Andy _ Kent, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Boy, this has been fun to watch:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-dolphins-vontae-davis-062309,0,7105571.story

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Looks more as though it's the latest rush-to-get-the-non-story.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hey, you think loud vehicles are a laughing matter?

4. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Good one

5. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

This is actually rather interesting. If the guy used Davis' driver's license as ID when he was pulled over, that's embarrassing for the cop who did the work to get them mixed up.

6. Can't agree it's a non-story. Another publication reports his arrest, the Sun-Sentinel straightens it out and gets the full story. Sounds like pretty basic reporting to me. Am I missing something?

7. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Lone Star is correct; Sun-Sentinel did a very thorough job.

8. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I think Oggie might have been being sarcastic, since what was reported didn't actually happen. Or something like that. It took me a second to get it.

9. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Well, here's one Illinois outlet that apparently hasn't been alerted to the updates:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sportsprose/2009/06/former_illini_miami_dolphin_dr.html

And to answer lone star's question, the Sentinel also went with the original story initially as explained in the beat writer's blog:

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2009/06/miami-dolphins-the-latest-on-vontae-davis-mess-in-illinois.html

10. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I think if I had an arrest report that showed someone with the same name, date of birth and address as a newsworthy person being arrested in a city where he recently maintained a residence, that would be enough to presume it is that person.

Otherwise you couldn't report any arrest that doesn't have a mugshot to verify -- you'd have to write something awkward like "a person with the same name, birthdate and address as Cecil Collins was arrested Tuesday night."

Was there not a mugshot for the person who was actually arrested? I think Jevon Kearse had something similar happen to him way back early in his career.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Can't say I blame the Daily Illini. If the cops produce an ID that says Vontae Davis was arrested, I'd be inclined to believe that Vontae Davis had been arrested.

12. i don't blame the sun-sentinel ... they covered their asses pretty well

but assuming sun-sentinel covers OTAs every day, they would have known davis had been at the complex during the day and back early the next morning

and virtually impossible to be in illinois in between

at least a red flag to triple-check everything?

Draft saved Draft deleted