1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

and now, JoPa's take on newspapers and sports.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KJIM, Sep 16, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Ah, here it is:

Game Called — what more is there for us to say?
    How dull and drab the field looks to the eye
    For one who ruled it in a golden day
    Has waved his cap to bid us all good-bye.
    The Big Guy’s gone — by land or sea or foam
    May the Great Umpire call him “safe at home.”

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

WFW from my grandfather, who was a year older than JoePa and read the paper every day. He died last year.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Paterno reads the obits first to make sure he isn't in them.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Because 99.9 percent of writers aren't Grantland Rice and an attempt to write like that sounds like incoherent crap, for one reason.

5. The Grantland Rice lede would get killed today because it is flowery garbage. It's important in the same way, say, Robinson Crusoe is important in an English literature class. Tom Perrotta could story tell circles around DeFoe, but historical importance means something.

I read this shit every time someone disagreed with a column I wrote: "In Grantland Rice's day, sports writers had flair! They could write! These guys like Waylon are a pale shadow of that!"

6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Mr. Rice's best quote, IMHO, is in my sig.

RB

7. doggieseatdoggies

doggieseatdoggies New Member

Two CEO types just twittered one another saying Paterno must go, that he's out of touch with their vision for America.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

" ...oh, and by the way...
    GET OFF MY DAMN LAWN!"

[​IMG]

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I still don't know how reporters feverishly twittering news conferences helps news organizations make money.
    If newspapers would concentrate on being newspapers (telling compelling local stories) rather than twittering and blogging newspapers would still be viable. Newspapers stopped being newspapers and now only morons buy them.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's a little disturbing to think that some columnist's smiling picture is staring back at an 80-year-old man taking a dump. And, 10 minutes later, that same picture and the words the columnist spent several hours piecing together are dismissed and at the bottom of a garbage can.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of sports writing, kids.

11. hacksaw2828

hacksaw2828 Member

Joe Paterno is also old enough to remember when you took the newspaper to the bathroom to do more than read it. You used it. And he probably was using an outhouse too.

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Joe Paterno:
    Champion of newspapers, after stabbing them in the back for 35 years.
    He's a first-ballot selection for the Hypocrisy Hall Of Fame.

Draft saved Draft deleted