1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And now, it's Montgomery's turn....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slappy4428, Aug 16, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Bitch of it is... with the the bubbleheaded management in Editorial -- especially the Editor, who's astute coverage decisions have led the subscribers to leave in droves and eliminate coverage in affluent areas closer to the home base than non-affluent ones farther away, and the Sports editor, who challenged a co-worker to a fight in the middle of the newsroom earlier this year with neither being disciplined, the rank and file will probably get fucked on this....

-----

Employees of The Advertiser Co.,

The economic downturn affecting much of the country is also taking a heavy toll on the local economy. You have likely already experienced the results of the downturn in your own personal finances through higher gas prices, utility bill increases and rising prices at the grocery store. Those changes have forced many of you to evaluate and make adjustments in your household spending. We are facing a similar situation with our business both locally and nationally.

In nearly every advertising segment, our customers are reporting difficult times for their business. They are reducing spending for advertising in both print and online. The significant reduction in advertising revenue is forcing us to look at the way we do business. Due to the difficult business conditions across the country, the Gannett U. S. Community Publishing Division is reducing positions across all levels. Recently we were asked to meet a specific payroll expense reduction amount. The amount was calculated by reviewing our current financial performance and previous reductions.

In total, we will eliminate 19 positions from our organizational structure. Six positions have already been eliminated with the discontinuation of the Army Flier; three currently vacant positions due to resignations will remain open; and 10 existing employees will be laid off. Announcements here in Montgomery will be made on Wednesday, August 20. Affected employees will receive severance benefits that include compensation and the continuance of medical benefits through the severance period. Those leaving the Advertiser have made a significant contribution to our success and we will graciously thank them for their years of service.

The decision to eliminate these jobs was extremely difficult, but we can no longer operate with the same number of people while our business gets smaller in this down economy.

While division management provided the number and a review of site-submitted reductions, all recommendations were made at the local level. The overall payroll reduction amount for the U. S. Community Publishing Division translates to roughly 1,000 fewer positions with approximately 600 people to be laid off. This equates to approximately 3% of the division’s current positions.

Going forward, we will continue to evaluate our business. We would prefer no future reductions, however we must keep expenses in line with revenue. If advertising and circulation revenues continue to decline, further reductions may be necessary.

Meanwhile, we are committed to providing high-quality public service journalism for our readers in addition to tremendous value to our advertisers with our stable of products. With 85% reach of adults in the market over a seven-day period, we remain the leading provider of news and information. In the coming days and weeks we will do our best work to continue the strong presence we already have in the Tri-county area.

Please accept my gratitude in advance for your professionalism and continued commitment to our mission during this difficult time.

Sincerely,

Cheryl R. Lindus
    President and Publisher

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You've doubtless noticed how difficult it is for you to buy things. Well, for 10 of you, it's about to get much more difficult!

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I don't know who's fault it is, but the product has turned to absolute shit even before layoffs. A paper barely thick enough to use for housebreaking puppies, full of wire copy and with a new and highly unimproved design.

5. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Slappy, buddy, the incidents you mentioned are considered good times now.

Here's what I loved about the "We love you, you're fired" letters: The fact that they're announcing that 10 people gots to go and that they've decided on the 10, but they're not gonna announce those 10 for another six days. Sweet.

So, that leaves everyone playing their own little game of Survivor, as they try to guess who's gonna get voted off the island.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Meanwhile resumes go flying out the door and they'll probably end up losing more than the 10.
    Why do I think all of the names are being sent to the Big G and they're being sorted out in some lavish conference room by a bean counter (to figure out the severance cost), a lawyer (to make sure the corp won't be sued for age discrimination) and someone from HR.

If I were a Preps writer working on a high school football preview section for a Gannett paper I think I'd hold off a couple of weeks before wrapping it up, and just quit on the spot if a supervisor tried to move up the deadline.

7. We must hear more details on the SE dropping the gloves in the middle of the newsroom. Don't leave us hanging like that.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Damn. Hang in there these next six days and beyond, my friends in Montgomery.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

no shit!
    talk about burying the lede.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Am told it was quite a scene.... When I get more details (I heard the story three months ago over alcohol), I will pass along.

12. Player1

Player1 New Member

Not much to it, really. Just a couple of dudes getting heated, some threats tossed about and a little bat play.

Embarrassing? Yeah. But compared to other shit that has gone down, just your average day.

I'll say this: There are many times I venture onto this site and read thread after thread of bitching and complaining. You should all stop it. Because I guarantee you the people at this place can top anything you got.

Draft saved Draft deleted