1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And now a word from our sponsor...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ColdCat, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We have a few local 5K races, and I'll occasionally throw a softball to the race director to give the sponsors a mention. Usually along the lines of talking about growing the races, and how the sponsor money makes it possible by allowing them to have better post-race entertainment and prizes, which in turn increases participation. Sometimes the sponsor is also responsible for organizing the race, so they get a mention by giving the race director's day job when I put attribution to a quote.
    I rarely, if ever, mention the sponsors directly on first reference, though.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Though I was never told to do so, either by my publisher, ad manager, or ME, I was sure to include the corporate name when the hospital in town sponsored something. They bought two or three ads per paper. Big, color ads.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Looks like the some of the walls are crumbling ...

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Sadly, the wall between the newsroom and ad department was knocked down a long, long time ago at most newspapers.

Even sadder is that, in 2015, both sides have way fewer bodies.

DarkHorses likes this.
  5. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Taken from the AP Stylebook:

If the sponsor's name is part of the event name, such as Buick Open, use the name in the title. If there is a previously established name commonly accepted for the event – Orange Bowl, Sugar Bowl – use that name even if there currently is a corporate sponsor. Orange Bowl, not Discover Orange Bowl. However, mention the sponsor somewhere in the story or in a self-contained paragraph after a 3-em dash at the bottom of the story.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

In-house style takes precedence over AP style, which has, frankly, become disjointed and inconsistent over the past 20 years.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Metrics is the new stylebook.
    So write it any way you want.
    But don't forget the photo gallery!

Draft saved Draft deleted