1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And now a tennis mom jumps in

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by pressboxer, Nov 24, 2008.

1. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Unedited except to excise the name of the school involved.

This because we rounded up the other all-district teams in a weekly notebook, giving each about eight inches but no quotes from the coaches. The notebook led with a bit on the school's lone state qualifier in cross country and there was also a story that day on one of the tennis girls signing a letter of intent.

The FB all-district story was about 12 inches with two bland quotes from the coach. Take out the quotes, and football got about the same space even though football had 24 all-district players.

The kicker is that the mom in question is a school district employee. I took the liberty of forwarding this to the football coach, who is also the campus athletic coordinator. As I wrote to the football coach, I understand that jealousy is a fact of life when it comes to high school sports parents, but this is ridiculous.

The faculty Christmas party should be a hoot.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Meh, the football coach probably already thinks she's a bitch.

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

but is she hot?

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I think that was unprofessional.

Funny, but unprofessional.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

She's a tennis mom... extreme -- could be really good or really bad

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if she prefers to use the forehand or the backhand. I hear her power strokes are something to behold.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That reminds me of a scene from Arliss.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

pboxers,

Seriously, if your paper picks the teams, that's a lot of work and a big deal for the locals. I would not bury it in a roundup. I'd give all the teams some display.

If the coaches pick it and send it to you, whatever. Jam it in and grab some bland quotes.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, agreed.
    You promote teams of your choosing.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I understand your frustration ... but was it really neccesary to forward that to the football coach?

What was the point? To "tell" on her?

I think that was kind of bad form, to be honest. People should be able to email you with the expectation that it won't be forwarded all over the Internet, no matter how bitchy they are.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

In a perfect world, yeah. But in this world, you sends an e-mail, you takes your chances.

That's why, if you want to confront someone, you should always do it in person - preferably at night, in an area that's not particularly well lit.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've got to say forwarding the letter to the football coach is pretty nasty and extremely unprofessional. Actually, that letter didn't seem very obnoxious to me -- quite mild, in fact. Just a run-of-the-mill parent wanting to get his or her kid's team some publicity. We've all seen letters like that a million times. But even if it was filled with f-bombs (and we've seen those, too), sending it to the football coach is wrong. Respond politely to the letter, explain your position and move on.

Draft saved Draft deleted