1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

... and more HS principal assholery

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, May 29, 2011.

1. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

They are luck they are still:

a) getting their HS diplomas
    b) not incarcerated.

The principal was remarkably constrained considering the gravity of their crimes.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Another microcosm of a society that's wound way too fuckin' tight.

3. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I don't have much respect for teachers/administrators of this ilk. Know your place, and know what's important. If everything has to follow the letter of the zero-tolerance law no matter what, why are you earning $100k when all decisions are as automatic as a gas-station car-wash?

One of my biggest beefs with 21st century education (and, the last decade or two of the 20th century) is the loss of such a high percentage of "teachable" moments because of stringent, undeviating policies.

Watch "Ferris Bueller" sometime, and as ridiculous as it was then, think about what would happen nowadays if the same things transpired. The school would go into lockdown, the missing teens would make the mid-day news, and you can only imagine the discipline for the kids. Oh, and of course the principal would be fired for not following SOPs (to put it mildly) and would lose his personal fortune and reputation in a civil suit for trespassing and inflicting emotional distress.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

My son graduated Friday night, and I'm mildly surprised there was no light saber battle involved. One kid did a cartwheel and handed out beads. My son did a roundoff backflip on the field afterward and another kid put "THX MOM" on his cap for the posed picture after receiving his diploma. It was all in good fun, and frankly it was entertaining. People's attitudes about formal occasions have shifted. Let'em celebrate, I say. Yes, education should be taken seriously and achievements should be celebrated. Those celebrating should be allowed some latitude in how they do it.

5. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

I'm glad I'm not the one making decisions on giving that latitude. Because the problem is it gets abused in the oneupsmanship of trying to get more attention than the last kid.

I can't remember what the punishment was for an airhorn at my school's graduation, but it was harsh and the kid got punished for his parent's actions. But imagine not being able to hear your kid's name be announced because the parents of the kid before are still making a racket.

Ideally, you can trust people to know the difference between a little fun and disruptive behavior, and have an administrator who can deftly handle the situation when a line is crossed.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Wow, were the lightsabers real?

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I would have let them go. They're seniors in high school playing with light sabers, and it's punishment enough that they're never going to see female genitalia.

8. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

About the most daring thing that I know of that happened around graduation last weekend was that one of the daughters of a teacher grabbed the microphone and announced herself before she walked across stage. No messages on the caps. And then at the end, it looked like the students were indecisive about whether they should toss their caps and about half of them stayed seated when they did.

This school hasn't always been a no fun zone but, man, they've come down hard the past few years.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

You gotta remember that times are a lot different today. Metal detectors in schools, armed police officers, kids brings guns and drugs to campuses on a regular basis. It's just a lot more difficult to keep control.

They could start by banning cell phones.

10. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

They're afraid of lawsuits. You are violating a student's rights if you take away a cell phone, which is bullshit. Most cellphones have calculators. I remember I got a calculator watch in the third grade, and I was told very swiftly that it was not allowed in class. My parents chose not to sue. :)

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

What crimes are you speaking of? I see no crime committed here.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I can't believe Patch got scooped on this story.

Draft saved Draft deleted