1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

... and more HS principal assholery

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, May 29, 2011.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Two kids stage a choreographed fake lightsaber fight during lunch, get two-day suspensions and told they cannot walk with their graduating class.

http://io9.com/5806595/students-banned-from-high-school-graduation-because-of-lightsaber-battle

Principal: "Someone could have gotten hurt!"

Oh, Jesus. Yeah, somebody could've been impaled on an imaginary lightsaber. Get a sense of humor, you feckless burnout. And see a physician about removing that giant stick from your ass.

Bonus: Kid interviewed about the "fight" on local TV is wearing a "What's Your O-Face?" tee-shirt.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I'm all for fighting The Man when appropriate, but I have to defer to the principal's judgment on this one. The two kids probably could have gotten permission in advance.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The principal had some pretty valid reasons, but the punishment is pretty harsh. Unless they were told beforehand not to do it, and they defied the principal, which wasn't mentioned in the TV story or the blog.

If they weren't told not to do it, the principal should have just taken away the light sabers, and given the kids some detention. At most.

This also reminds me of my first weekly newspaper job, where about 14 or 15 seniors weren't going to be allowed to walk because of a food fight at the cafeteria on the last day. Supposedly, the principal was laughing about it, until the superintendent found out, then the principal cracked down.

Hearings were held, and the kids were able to walk after getting an alternative punishment (I can't remember what it was. Maybe an essay or something?)

The principal ended up "resigning" a few weeks later. The superintendent claimed emphatically that it wasn't due to her handling of the food fight. But I and my bosses didn't believe him. Still, naturally, we put his quote in.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

God, I hope there is more to this story like the kids were told not to do it, or did not stop when told to stop.

As far as I can tell no students were hurt and no students were put in danger. Maybe a picture of the light sabres they used might clear things up, but I doubt it.

I am guessing the Central Office is pissed this guy didn't handle this in house, like writing the kids up. A write up is not the end of the world, but not letting them walk? YGBFKM.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Tell me you're not serious

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I don't mind them getting suspended, which is a pretty common length for any sort of food fight or staged disturbance... but not being able to walk seems pretty severe. I wonder if they had a past disciplinary record? I do feel for the school a little bit in that case, since they can't come out and say, "Well we've actually had to suspend this kid 15 times so far this year."

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I'm not serious ???

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I can't imagine what would happen to my friend Roddy who stabbed a guy in the back of his hand with a fork when the dude stole his fries. And Roddy had warned him repeatedly

Blood everywhere.

We all laughed. Nothing happened but that was back in the mid 60's

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm guessing today that would lead to (a) arrest and expulsion, and (b) a zero-tolerance policy on cutlery.

10. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

That would be a good conversation:

Kids: So, uh, Mr. Principal, sir. We are much inclined to show off our fake lightsaber skills in front of the student body during lunch.
    Principal: Well, in all my years as a carer of children I have never seen such grandiose maturity and careful pattern of thought. To think that you made up your minds and still asked me before putting on this grand spectacle of entertainment shows how much respect I garner in not only this school but this community as a whole, and I fully implore you to go ahead and put on a safe and selfless viewing for your fellow classmates.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The two guys wanted to stage a silly little lightsabre fight as some sort of high school version of performance art. Asking for permission from the principal would kinda negate the whole point of the exercise.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Or a complete lockdown. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted