1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And me without my armbands....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Aug 2, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

This coming from "I've got no interest in English Common Law Mustard"  one of the greatest admissions of ignorance of all time.

As I said, look up Fascism. It might help to explain things for you.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

You don't have a leg to stand on, mustard.

Subject field experts -- which wouldn't be you, by the way -- have done many detailed studies on the comparative regimes of Hitler, Putsch, Mussolini, Pol Pot and despotic banana republics in Indonesia and South America. There are many shared characteristics.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why is it that people who claim to be such stout Americans and such champions of freedom and liberty are so willing to dispense with those pesky subjects when convenient?

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Everything I read says over 6 million Jews died. You only have 5.7 million.

So who's belittling the Holocaust?

(EDIT: Just kidding, although hundreds of thousands of lives is a significant deviation. Plus, inappropriate smiley removed.)

5. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

I used to be deeply put off by the Bush Admin-Nazi comparisons.

Not so much anymore.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

1. Now that's original -- more insults from JR.
    2. Keep on bringing the Yates thread over to other arguments. Now THAT'S a way to make a point.
    3. I've got "no interest in English Common Law" is because I already know enough about it without having to "go read about it". Certainly I know enough about it to engage in an internet argument with, presumably, a fellow sports journalist. Now, if you're a lawyer, that's another story.
    4. Already looked it up. Does fascism accurately reflect what's going on in this administration? You know what -- you've got a point, because that's an argument that can be made.
    5. Again, keep up with the Hitler imagery, though. I'm sure there are at least 5.7 million that agree that such imagery should be used in this instance.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Maybe Bush-Mussolini is a more appropos comparison, for many reasons.

8. The Bill of Rights extends only to US citizens (unless you want to impose our laws on all the peoples of the world). Did I miss something or did that story you linked to say these measures would be extended to US citizens or are they just for foreign enemy combatants captured in civilian garb?

Democrats will continue to lose national elections as long as they continue to appear to care more about the "rights" of the terrorists our miliatry catches than about the men and women in the miliatry who are risking their lives fighting them. Do you think these people fight according to Hoyle or obey the Geneva Convention? Maybe in your hippy dreams.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I like Banana Republic, but I've never seen a despotic one. Didn't know they had them in Indonesia (although I'm sure many of the clothes are manufactured there.) Anyway, one word comes to mind with the story...

Oy...

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

This is something straight out of Kafka.

John D. Hutson, the Navy's top uniformed lawyer from 1997 to 2000, said the rules would evidently allow the government to tell a prisoner: "We know you're guilty. We can't tell you why, but there's a guy, we can't tell you who, who told us something. We can't tell you what, but you're guilty."

11. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

And Erik Estrada and the Homoerotic Doll Boys say, "And the problem with that is what, exactly?"

Draft saved Draft deleted