1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And Mariotti is back with the Sun-Times ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chi City 81, Aug 1, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, "necessity" has absolutely nothing to do with it.

This is an editorial/marketing decision and the editor in chief/publisher at the Sun Times think  it's important and  of interest to their readers.

And they presumably want to feed Jay's ego.  

2. Dignan

Dignan Guest

I'm guessing the L.A. Times ran a story the day Jim Murray penned his last column.

But BY NO MEANS am I comparing Jim Murray to Chicken Little Mariotti.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know one columnist who went to the competing paper and there was a 30,000 boost in circulation within six months... Coincidence? You can guess who it was... If you guess correctly, I'll confirm it...

Didn't the NYC papers actually cover Lupica's contract talks at one point?

Is Mariotti well-liked? Hell no... Is he well-read? Hell yes...

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

5. Girlinthehood

Girlinthehood Member

How common is it these days for sportswriters to have contracts?

Sincerely,

Girl "I don't have a contract" Hood

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If the general sports readership doesn't care about stuff like this then why do many large sports sections have a sports media columnist/beat guy?

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The general sports readership cares about the talking heads on TV/radio, which is who the sports media columnist covers 98 percent of the time. He/she would lose the general sports readership in a hurry by writing about comings and goings in newspapers (or contract renewals, per this thread).

8. given all the rumors and his extended absence, the short announcement was certainly appropriate.

mariotti complained that his newspaper didn't support him. by announcing that mariotti will remain employed at the sun times until 2009, it's the paper sending a message to the white sox and other teams that the sun times supports jay mariotti. it's also a message to the sun times staff, a group that certainly appears not to support mariotti.

now, did mariotti actually get an extension? that's the question. or did the sun times announce it would honor the agreement that was already in place?

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

In other words, does Mariotti have an NBA contract, or an NFL contract?

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Amen. Even at 100 words, it's a ridiculous waste of space.

Does Mariotti have a writer option for 2011? Is the Tribune one of the papers in his no-trade clause?

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

For Christ's sakes, why is it ridiculous?

Mariotti is one of the Sun-Times main assets. I assume they're paying him big bucks because they figure he sells papers.

And you flaunt your assets. You shove your assets in the competition's face.

You don't hide them.

As JW pointed out it's a message-laden announcement.

It's Marketing 101. Not difficult to understand.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yet, not always easy to accept...

Draft saved Draft deleted