1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And Mariotti is back with the Sun-Times ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chi City 81, Aug 1, 2006.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I have never seen a story about a writer's contract extension in his own paper. Surely that was there to quaff the gossip about his possible departure, but it still looked weird.

Next: "Joe Prep accepted a 25-cent per hour raise to remain in our BFE bureau through 2011. He will also cover one Bears training camp day per year as a bonus."

2. On the bright side, the good folks at www.jaythejoke.com can get back to work!

http://www.jaythejoke.com/blog.html

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I guess because Jay sells newspapers and the Sun-Times figures it's news.

The readers don't give two shits about Joe Prep.

4. Dignan

Dignan Guest

Gotta say, that's the first story I've ever read about a sportswriter getting a contract extension.

Was there a signing bonus? A no-trade clause? Won't it put the Sun-Times over the salary cap?

Why is this a story?! Who the fuck cares?

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Because many people read papers because of their loyalty to (a)  particular columnist(s).   

So, in the case of Jay fans, the short answer is, they care.

And it demonstrates (albeit cynically) that the Sun-Times cares about its readers.

Ediit: And it's not a story. It's a one hundred word announcement. Papers do it all the time.

6. Dignan

Dignan Guest

Sportswriters write the news, they don't make it.

Unless the guy dies, gets fired, breaks the law, wins an award, moves on to a new job, or retires after 30-plus years at the Podunk Times, there is no reason to have a story in a newspaper ABOUT a sportswriter.

7. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Somebody needs to start tracking time between Mariotti's appearances in the locker room and his columns about the White Sox.

I'm guessing he'll rip these guys twice a week .... and not venture to the locker room once. I sure hope he's at least at the ballpark.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Do you actually read newspapers?

When newspapers hire a high profile columnist --sports or otherwise--, they proudly announce it because they figure it (*gasp*) might actually attract new readers. And, if they stole him/her from the competition, they get to gloat.

This announcement (for the second time, it's an announcement not a story) is probably of interest to Sun-Times readers.

And no one gives a shit about some guy who retires after 30 years at the Podunk Times.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I think you can track that time in turtle years, A_F. I don't cover MLB and I have a better chance of showing up in that locker room.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

After all this excitement I think I'll make Jay my home page for the next month or so. :)

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I've read newspapers for a darn long time, and I've seen announcements from papers about their own awards, their own firings due to ethical problems, their own staff arrests, etc. But I've never seen an announcement basically saying "Columnist X will continue working for us."

Sure, maybe if you get a big hire from elsewhere, you announce it. But this is a guy just continuing to do his job. I don't care if it's Mariotti or not, it's unnecessary. Readers can see Mariotti is still there when they see his face every day.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Perhaps it was more of a warning than an announcement.

Draft saved Draft deleted