1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And just to prove that all of us are stupid--the Australian citizenship test

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

If you're thinking baseball:America, buckdubs, then you're wrong. Baseball is just as big, if not bigger, in Japan than it is here. It's not ours like football is.

2. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

hittin .500 here. a friend of mine received dual citizenship for australia about 2 years ago. the "form" to become an australian citizen is more than 50 pages. Apparently they are very protective of their culture and try to keep "foreigners" out. Essentially you either have to be marrying an australian (which she was doing) or "bring something productive and unique to Australian society." I have no idea what that means, but she said it is not any easy thing to quantify.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

I got three. And two of those were lucky guesses. But I giggled at 'budgie smugglers.' That's funny.

4. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Flash, around our parts it's called a "banana hanger." Same concept. :D

5. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I got three too. At least I'm as smart as SC. :)

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Been to Cavendish Beach? The French tourists love 'em there! [/shudder]

7. Four.
    Damn. Time was, all you had to do was advocate that the Brits get out of Ireland.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I got six out of ten, and I love singing "Advance Australia Fair".

One of the great national anthems, right there with "Oh Canada".

9. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Only three, but I got the one about "budgie smugglers"! :D

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

4, but I know more than 20 million people live there.

11. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

3, and thank God for Gallipoli.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Actually it's probably not a very hard test for anyone who's spent a year or two in Australia, and that's pretty much what one would have to do before being allowed to really take the test.

It's kind of weird to have a question on euphemisms for swim suits on a citizenship test, I don't care how much the country is into swimming. That's more a question for a culture test. I doubt there will ever be a baseball or football question on a US citizenship test.

Draft saved Draft deleted