1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And I'm Sure We've All Noticed How Oil Prices Are Vaulting Up Again . . .

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ben_Hecht, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . in the all-too-predictable the-coming-of-spring cycle.

Call your broker and go long, now. Anyone who gets in the way will be run over, in the traditional fashion.

Rule #1 in speculation: Do NOT get in the way of The Big Swing.

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I went long on wiener futures, but it all ended up going wrong, horribly wrong.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Somebody sneezed in Iran. And even though the Saudis have promised to ramp up production to make up for anything the Iranians pull off the market, the speculators drooled because they could screw the public again.

And US producers are exporting record amounts to China and India, which is keeping the price artificially high here. Big oil says we need to drill more domestically to stop us from relying on foreign oil, then they export more than half of what we produce here because they can charge a higher price for it.

4. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Gas up 10 cents around here, not going down any time soon it looks like.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Paid $3.19 Tuesday morning. Drove past the station today and it was at $3.45.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It was under $3 ($2.96) early last week here. By mid-week it was at $3.09. Yesterday it was at $3.19. That's price-gouging type spikes, except there's no crisis so it's just what the market dictates.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I drowned our broker in the galvanized tub we use to hand wash the laundry of the rich.

8. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Yes I noticed this last week when I saw the article that said "Consumer confidence back on the rise." The next day oil prices went up.

Bastards.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

" . . . RAMMING . . . SPEED . . . "

10. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I think we can blame Iran for most of this.

And our addiction to oil for the rest.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The latter is valid, the former is an excuse for speculators to fuck with the livelihood of everyone on the planet.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Prices jumped $.15 here since yesterday to $3.59.

Draft saved Draft deleted