1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And he was doing so well -- reporter drops a C-word on Rogers Sportsnet

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mystery_Meat, Apr 16, 2009.

1. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Yeah, actually it's been Tweeted about quite often. You're forgetting about the viral nature of the internet when stupid things happen.

http://twitter.com/timeline/search?q=roger+millions&source=sidebar&category=search#search?q=roger+millions

2. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

And it's on Deadspin ...

http://deadspin.com/5215881/

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I understand how the internet works.

My question is, other than people tweeting about it and watching it on Youtube, do you think this has legs?

I mean, have you read anything in the papers? Heard anything on TV? On the radio?

If it had happened on a US network, yeah, probably the FCC would weigh in and people would be screaming, "Think about the children!!"

In my opinion, most of Canuckistan couldn't give a shit. Seriously

4. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

I really don't think you do.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

That says a lot for the ease with which we casually use everyday, throwaway epithets like "cocksucker." Makes me proud to be Canuckistani.....brings a tear to my glass eye. :D

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Honestly, I have no idea what the CRTC would do, if anything.

Word is, the piece was rushed to air and never properly vetted. Feel very badly for Roger, who I've heard is taking it quite hard.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Not sure how it works in Canada, but if it's a cable/satellite channel the FCC wouldn't be able to touch it in the US.

8. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Millions is 'off the air for a few days.'

http://sports.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090417.w-millions18/GSStory/GlobeSportsHockey/home

CHICAGO — Reporter Roger Millions has been taken off the air for a few days after Rogers Sportsnet unintentionally aired an embarrassing outtake, according to network sources.

The Calgary-based correspondent was taping a pregame report prior to the NHL playoff series opener between the Calgary Flames and Chicago Blackhawks last Thursday, when he uttered an obscenity after he messed up his presentation.

Somehow the outtake was not only filed back to network headquarters in Toronto, but was shown on Sportsnet's Hockey Central at approximately 6:20 p.m. EDT. The faux pas sent shock waves through the all-sports network yesterday, prompting an internal memo from executive producer Mike English.

English's message was that Millions was being humiliated worldwide on YouTube.com and other Internet sites because shortcuts were taken by others to get his report on the air.

According to industry executives, there were many people to be blamed for the broadcast, including Millions, who never should have uttered the profanity.

“It is unfortunate that the comment made it to air,” Sportsnet spokesman Dave Rashford said. “We apologize and are confident this will not happen again.”

Millions, 49, covered the practices of both the Flames and 'Hawks at the United Center yesterday, but didn't appear on-air. While visibly distraught at what happened, the long-time broadcaster politely declined to discuss what had transpired the night before.

Some of the Flames players joked with him about the incident, but they also demonstrated support for him.

“Hey, you're human,” said Calgary forward Todd Bertuzzi, who has endured his share of controversy throughout his NHL career.

Millions has worked at Sportsnet since December of 2001, and until this season, handled Flames' play-by-play duties on television.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, since I helped Al Gore invent it, yes I do.

10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I cannot hear the word cocksucker without thinking of Lee Elia's rant about Cubs fans.

11. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Sea Bass: LINKAGE!

;D

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Canada? [/ducking]

Draft saved Draft deleted