1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And he strikes out -- no, it's a home run!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mpcincal, Jul 30, 2007.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

From SI.com's Extra Mustard, courtesty of YouTube: What do you get when you cross the Doug Eddings' ALCS fiasco with Engleberg's home run against the Yankees in "The Bad News Bears," and use Japanese players.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/extramustard/07/30/hotclicks.0730/index.html

To be fair with the Eddings comparison, at least this one actually hit the ground.

2. statrat

statrat Member

Well, if my knowledge of baseball rules is correct and I viewed the video right, the umpires blew the call at least twice:
    1) According to the stat tracker at the bottom of the screen their were runners on first and third so the batter is out on the third strike regardless of whether it was in the dirt or not.
    2) With the runners on base I didn't see either of them come around to score, so the guy passed them both on the basepaths and was out.

So if my eyes were not deceiving me and my rules interpretation is correct, the guy was out at least twice.

3. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I thought this was a John Sterling thread.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Haha ... I actually had the same thought.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I came to the same two conclusions. I figured maybe the rules on running to first on strikeouts in the dirt were different in Japan, but I don't believe any league would allow one runner to pass another (in this case two others) on the basepads.

6. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

With two outs, you still have to make the putout, runner at first or no.

7. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

But how cool is it that the umpire gets on the microphone to explain the decision?

8. statrat

statrat Member

I knew there was a flaw in my logic somewhere. I think MLB may need to make it mandatory for umpire's to get on a mic and start explaining rulings given some of the interesting calls lately.

9. expendable

But does that make it okay to pass runners on the base pads?

10. statrat

statrat Member

If he did pass them then he should be out, but I'm wondering if the base coach waved them around since two guys (who may have been the runners on first and third?) greet him at the plate. I didn't see them come around though.

11. expendable

That would make sense then.

12. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Put me in this camp, as well. The sad thing is I can realistically visualize (if that's possible for a RADIO call) him doing that. Can anyone imagine what his HOF induction speech would be like if he was given the Ford C. Frick Award? bwahahahahahahahah! ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted