1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And, everyone gets a participation trophy, a medal and ice cream

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Jun 27, 2010.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

It is no different than competition for scholarships (I sit on a committee that gives out three $5000 scholarships a year and must read through about 100 packages of transcripts, SAT scores, resumes, community service project details and essays) or the competition to get admitted into schools.

And the process is not nearly as subjective as you would think - in a lot of cases it is pretty easy to determine who is most deserving of an award.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

AP is weighed more heavily than "regular classes."

But not all regular classes are equal, either. Chemistry and Calculus are tougher than Elementary French or Spanish.

"I got a 4.0 average in high school with 12 Advanced Placement classes" is fine by me. No need to compare 5.3278 kid with 5.3272 kid to determine a "winner."

3. zagoshe

LIke I said, if you add other elements - like SAT scores, community service, the number of activities someone participated in -- you take the whole .00006 element out of it.

4. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I don't know. I went to Missouri. I bet those kids who got As in AP Calculus and Physics worked way harder academically their senior year than I did in four. Give them their meaningless pat on the back and move on.

Or maybe - for daring to take attention away from the lacrosse team - have some jocks come up on stage after they get their award and beat them mercilessly. While the audience laughs and jeers hysterically. That'll teach them.

5. zagoshe

That's assuming the members of the lacrosse team - which is generally comprised of kids not tough enough to play football or hockey -- could actually beat them up........

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting on my damn ice cream! :D

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Jim Brown just laughs and laughs and laughs.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

"Those prep school boys'd just pee themselves when they see old Bunk coming at 'em"

Start at 2:18. Good old Bunk & Omar.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Up here, many lacrosse players are hockey players, and vice versa.

10. zagoshe

There are exceptions to every rule.

Jim Brown is just further evidence that if football went away, all of those lacrosse players would be playing soccer......

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You missed it.

Draft saved Draft deleted