1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And, everyone gets a participation trophy, a medal and ice cream

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Jun 27, 2010.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

http://www.startribune.com/nation/97239339.html

How many grads can be top of class? How about 30?

The title of valedictorian is losing luster across the U.S. as schools dispense the honor to every straight-A student.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Hey, I like this logic. Can we apply it retroactively? This way, I can say I wasn't in the middle of my graduating class. I was only an exam or two away from being the salutatorian. :)

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

There was a promise of ice cream. Where do I get mine?

4. CR19

CR19 Member

Great. Now the Baltimore Orioles are going to use this logic and say they deserve to have a part of the AL East title.

5. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

I thought this was a thread about US Soccer team

6. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

As soon as I saw this post's title, I knew who wrote it, lol.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

On a positive note, maybe it will stop the insane competition between Muffy (5.43285 GPA) and Justin (5.43282 GPA) and Evan (5.43278 GPA) for the honor of valedictorian.

Once upon a time, you get all As, you get a 4.0. Period. None of this "extra" AP crap to inflate top GPAs into the mid 5s. And if there are 30 students with 4.0 averages . . . so be it.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I have to say I like the attitude a friend of mine had toward GPAs while he was in college. During his speeches given at the university commencement and his college commencement, he said "no one will care what your college GPA was". And that guy had a 4.0.

My roommate's dad often plays a game of "who had the lowest college GPA?" He usually "won" because his was often the lowest of the people he'd ask. Last I heard, he was a professor at Towson University and he's a very, very smart man.

Personally, two of the classes in which I learned the most were classes in which I ended up with a "C".

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Don't you have a score-free T-ball game to watch?

10. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

My HS had a 15 point GPA scale. Something like 15 points for a final grade of 97-100 in an AP class, 14 for 93-96, 13 for 90-93, and so on...For a "regular class," the GPA scale started at 12 and worked its way down. I don't know what my GPA was on the 15 point scale, but I came to college in a state where the 5 point GPA scale was common place and always got so annoyed with people that talked about their "4.5 GPA."

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

This thread promised everybody ice cream.

As yet, I have seen no ice cream.

I want my fucking ice cream, slappy. It's on you if I don't get it.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Not sure if that's true anymore. Google looks at GPAs of all prospective hires and will not hire anyone who was less than sterling. And I don't mean entry-level hires -- if you have had a 20-year career and draw raves for your management and initiative, they still might not hire you if you messed around and graduated with a 2.8. That's getting to be more standard across tech as everyone follows the leader.

From beginning to end, there is very little of what we experienced as students that applies anymore. These days, if a kid isn't fully reading by the end of kindergarten, teachers want to hold him back. And the stuff that used to be passed off as kids being dumb -- senior day pranks etc. -- is enough for colleges to rescind acceptances.

Draft saved Draft deleted