1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And Entourage is rolling too.....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, May 13, 2007.

1. Stupid

Stupid Member

Simon-Exactly! I forgot about that but when it happened, I pointed out to my wife that the crow on the ledge spooked Moltisanti when he got made.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Dumb question - Why wouldn't somebody own the rights to the story as well as the script? Because Escobar is a public figure?

I have a kooky friend in L.A. who teaches interpretive dance to the inmates at L.A. County Juvenile Hall. One of the big studios bought the rights to her story -- paid her a ton of $$$. Madonna was in talks to play her, but it all broke down, and now it's questionable whether the movie will ever get made.

There was never any script, but I do know that nobody could make a movie about her story after that payment.

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

the question of whether you own the rights to your life story is kind of iffy. in california you do own the rights to your life story. other states differ. as i understand it, the simple answer is that if a moviemaker were to change a few details - make you taller, fatter, shorter, richer, poorer, add a few things that didn't really happen, etc. - it's no longer based on you.

4. Lugnuts

I see. But somebody up there asked why Vince wouldn't just commission another script.

If Entourage were real life, would Vince be able to commission another script?

5. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Barton Fink? Gracious, at least say Eight Men Out.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No offense Lugz, but my first reaction to your post was to be very happy that movie was never made. (Sorry, my wife's taste is so funky, it's hard to tell what crap I'll get dragged to in payment for her tagging along to see my sci-fi/action stuff).

7. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

"I was the fat kid they wouldn't let play. 'Sit down, fat boy'. That's what they'd say 'Sit down, maybe you'll learn something.' Well, I learned something alright. Pretty soon, I owned the game, and those guys I grew up with come to me with their hats in their hands."

Also loved the Apocalypse Now references. All all-around great episode.

8. Lugnuts

No offense taken, but it's not crap. The woman's name is Kim Geldart (aka "Kim G" and "Sukha"), and one day she walked up to L.A. County Juvenile Hall ("The Juve") and asked if she could teach the kids a class-- for free. These kids were in the worst of the worst gangs, some were incarcerated for murder, etc. But Kim wanted to work with them when nobody else really gave a shit.

I understand why Hollywood wouldn't be in a hurry to do this kind of film because it's been done before (Stand By Me, Dangerous Minds, etc. etc. ), and often it's been done poorly. But Kim is truly a unique personality (a nut above all nuts), and this is a great story. After she finally got her project on steady ground at the Juve, she started working with incarcerated men. Imagine this kooky lady teaching convicted murderers yoga and interpretive dance. The LA Times did a great story on her awhile back.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly. Great material for a news story. But as a movie? Similar stuff has been done many times, usually badly done.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Dammit Lugz, post a link to the LA Times story.
    Now I want to read it.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Scolding accepted.

Absolutely.

12. Giggity

Giggity Member

When Drama asked the broad at Ari's office to call him a cab to get to his rub-and-tug; was that Minka Kelly (Lyla Garrity from Friday Night Lights)? I'm pretty sure it was, and I'm positive the look she gave him was awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted