1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anchorwoman

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by FishHack76, Aug 22, 2007.

1. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Anyone catch this tonight? Former Price is Right model and WWE diva Lauren Jones is an "anchor" for a Tyler, Texas, station that's lagging in the ratings. I don't even know if the station is an affiliate or if it's just some newscast that comes on after "Girlfriends" or "Buffy."
    It was an interesting dynamic on how TV news is mostly image with a little journalism thrown in. They kept throwing around the word integrity yet they had big billboards of Jones in her best swimsuit model pose.
    The funniest part was Jones falling out of her chair and dancing around during another reporter's live report in the newsroom. She did all right when it came to reading the news (except for not looking into the camera) but in terms of knowing squat about journalism, she was horrible. However, apparently her first news story (not on a cat fashion show) was decent, according to the anchor man.
    Jones is blonde so of course, the anchor she replaced has to be a disgruntled brunette. Nothing against brunettes at all, of course. I just thought that was typical bugs-in-a-jar thinking from FOX.
    The news manager seems like a typical, big, sweaty, mid-level dufus. The other anchorwoman (however, it seems like they have two others) is mad because she's been stuck in Tyler for three years. She got into a fight with the main cameraman who compared her experience coming into the station to Jones'
    "Have you seen my resume?" was her response. "I think you are totally out of line."
    The cameraman said later in the show that he didn't think too highly of the brunette's reporting skills.
    The overall theme I got out of it, besides TV is mostly image (I know, gasp) is few people understand what journalists really do and how hard it really is.

2. I thought you were announcing a sequel to the Will Ferrell movie ...

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Same here.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Ditto.

5. That's funny. Did you guys think for a second it might be good? I was thinking, 'depends on the actress' when I clicked on the thread ...

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Not me. We've had threads on this before.

7. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

"It's anchorMAN, not anchorlady and that is a scientific fact!" [/Champ Kind]

8. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

i just figured applegate would be in the sequel and that they would play off that.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/42821/

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Tough call on whose subject line is better.

11. We need a ruling from OnDeadline ...

12. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Well, my thread was on the actual show. That was a story about the show.

Draft saved Draft deleted