1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anchorage

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jones, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Why Alaska?

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and jonesy's night comes to an anticlimactic end.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. patchs

patchs Active Member

I have a hunch Jones that Anchorage in Feb. won't be as much fun as Havana was when you went last year.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I had a blast at Chilkoot Charlie's as a 22-year-old on the prowl. In fact, my buddy met a girl there and she came out to visit him on the East Coast a month or two after we returned. She never left.

The Brew House also sticks out in my mind from that trip. Had a great steak and some excellent beer there.

There were some other dive bars as well, but I don't remember them so well. I think all the strip clubs are "juice bars," which kind of sucked. Can't say I recommend the place we went. Don't remember the name, though.

5. Jones

Jones Active Member

Here safe and sound, and I have to say, I'm bagged.

Was up at four o'clock this morning, Ottawa-Detroit, Detroit-Minneapolis, Minneapolis-Anchorage -- the last leg, six freaking hours. I don't know if you guys know this, but Alaska's fucking farrrrrrrr.

Plus, it's farther on Northwest -- no movie, no audio, no food, one pass with the drinks cart. Boo.

Fun, though. Flight in was absolutely beautiful, so many mountains I couldn't hardly believe it. Just read the Anchorage Daily News at my first bar, near my hotel. Couple pints -- Alaskan IPA and Amber, both flavorful and much-needed -- and a French dip sandwich.

I am happy, but I am also tired. The bar crawl will wait until tomorrow.

Also, a four-hour time difference kind of surprised me. No one ever talks about "Alaska time." I'm all discombobulated. Although if I wonder where I am, I can always look up above the fireplace and see the moose head, and there's a giant fucking bear standing a few feet to my left.

So far, me likey.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

not a damned thing about my "fun with photobucket?"

unsolid.

7. Jones

Jones Active Member

I took a picture of my asshole with your toothbrush up it.

8. Jones

Jones Active Member

Oh, wait, just noticed the dude in the Peter Tosh shirt. Now that is goddamn solid.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

douche bag. ;)

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Wait till you wake up early and see the sunrise over the mountains surrounding the city. Spectacular.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

But would it make the Esquire sandwich hall of fame? Is it 1/10th as good as burger you had in Havana?

12. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Speaking of those sandwiches, that special section on esquire.com don't work for me, and I got a roast beef po-boy to promote.

Draft saved Draft deleted