1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anchorage

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jones, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Jones

Jones Active Member

Dear friends, I know this is a long shot, but I'm hoping for a solid, damn solid, recommendation on where I should get rip-van-winkled in Anchorage, Alaska, which tomorrow will represent the 46th state in which I've pooped out my mouth.

Obliged,
    Jonesy Supertramp.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm pretty sure amraeder lives in Alaska.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

An Anchorage friend of mine says to go to the Pioneer Bar on fourth or fifth avenue. It is a little dive bar with shuffleboard and whatnot.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Amraeder does reside in Alaska, although I'm not sure which city.

5. Jones

Jones Active Member

I once killed a man with a shuffleboard pole. I might kill another this week.

amraeder, I'm looking at you.

Thanks, 'Gola.

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Jones,
    I'm in Fairbanks, so I don't have as good a low-down as I'd like, but there are places I'd suggest:
    The Brew House:
    http://www.glacierbrewhouse.com/home.htm

F-Street Station:
    http://www.10best.com/Anchorage/Nightlife/Bars/F_Street_Station_Anchorage_AK_BID_66695/

and some else suggested Darwins:
    http://www.alaska.net/~thndrths/

Hope that helps.
    If you ever find your way up to Fairbanks, let me know.

PS: I'm going to be indisposed for the next couple of hours with back-to-back college b-ball games, so if you have any follow-up questions, I won't get to them for a while, sorry!

7. Is Chilkoot Charlie's still open in Anchorage?

8. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Moose's Tooth. Check out their website for hte local entertainment

http://www.moosestooth.net

9. accguy

accguy Member

Jones,

A good place to drink is a place called Humpy's. They have a boatload of beers on tap and the kitchen is open pretty late. It's only two or three blocks from the Marriott.

EDIT: According to www.humpys.com, they have 42 beers on tap.

Sincerely,
    A guy who has covered two Great Alaska Shootouts

10. WhiskeyRiver

WhiskeyRiver New Member

Long time, first time ...

Darwin's is a legendary downtown bar, a favorite among sports journalists in the city for decades. If you're looking for a place to park it and drink until you can't drink no more, this is a good place to go. A real pro's bar.

The Polar Bar, a little east of the downtown hub, is another great dive bar, a place to just get wrecked. Crossroads is also popular with the local newspaper set because of its proximity to Sullivan Arena.

F Street is a nice, low-key bar with pretty good food. Humpy's Great Alaskan Alehouse, also downtown, is another place with good food and an awesome beer selection. It usually has live entertainment of some sort.

Moose's Tooth has great pizza and another impressive beer selection. Blues Central makes great French dips and has live music every night.

Chilkoot Charlie's is the main meat market in Anchorage. It has its charm, I suppose, and is routinely voted the city's best bar. It's also the bar you will most likely be killed by aggressive bouncers. (Crossroads is where you'll most likely be shot in the back of the head while sitting at the bar.)

The Pioneer Bar has become a bit of a haven for douchebags. The Avenue recently underwent a face lift and is a good place to hang out with a group.

Hope this helps. At this time of year there are only a few things you can do in Alaska, and drinking is one of them. We've been well below zero for a couple of weeks now, but it's supposed to "warm up" in the next couple of days, which probably means more snow.

11. Jones

Jones Active Member

Well, goddamn, if Alaskans haven't proved most hospitable, and before I've even landed there. This board's graciousness spreads far and wide. Thanks very much.

And don't be a stranger, Whiskey.

(If I had a nickel every time I've said that...)

I believe I will be at Darwin's sometime tomorrow night, anyone cares to join. And then the Polar Bar and Crossroads after that. Maybe with dinner at F-Street. Damn, I can't wait.

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I just like the sound of F-Street.
    Go there.

Draft saved Draft deleted