1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anchor in trouble for FB posts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 25, 2016.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

And PC,

There's no excuse for any anchor to place this Facebook Live at a higher priority than what a producer is trying to communicate during a newscast. That irritates me at a high level.

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I have no idea what Facebook Live is, but I will not allow periscope during periods when we are watching the games. Not a freaking chance.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Some of the female media types I follow here in the Toronto area spend so much time fishing for compliments on FB and Twitter (and getting them from the love-struck losers who trip over themselves to kiss their ass) that their feeds should be sponsored by Bass Pro Shops.

Lugnuts likes this.
  4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Facebook Live is essentially the same as Periscope but it shows up live in your Facebook feed. So, it's Periscope except that people actually see it.

I have a co-worker who constantly tweets pictures of herself. Her desk is covered with framed photos of herself. It's unnerving.

5. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I don't see an upside off Facebook live. Only a downside.

My co-anchor and I have said that, maybe we would do it once a month but only if there's no breaking news.

Also, the comments that come in are unfiltered and in real time and often, from what I see on other stations, not moderating in a timely manner.

If some prick decides to start writing that my co-anchor looks fat in that dress or why is her hair done in a certain manner, she'll be a wreck the rest of the day.

I'm not on here as some moral superior on anchoring. I'm just as vain as the rest of the male anchor bustards but, the older I get, the more I see it around me.

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

We got a new female TV reporter in RI and she posts a hell of a lot of selfies with her doing kissy/duck faces.

I don't understand the hate toward Periscope. If you're trying to provide your viewers/readers with the best product, any press conference you're not airing live should be Periscoped for the viewers/readers who want to see the whole thing.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

One of them I follow here set the bar pretty low with her "Tell me how great I look in this" Outfit of the Day posts on FB and Twitter.

HanSenSE and exmediahack like this.
  9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I've clicked on the links and I can't find even a screen shot of her original post or the story about the restaurant worker whom she bragged on. Do you have a link to them or does anyone else on here? I'd like to read them myself if possible. Thanks.

10. PCLoadLetter

11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Thanks man. Absolutely horrifying she would make those assumptions and state those thoughts/opinions and do so publicly. The whole post about the restaurant worker just bleeds racist. Most racists don't even realize they are. Speechless.

12. PCLoadLetter

That's what gets me -- all the early reports focused on her assumption that the killers were black. That's bad, but the shit about the restaurant worker is just unbelievable.

Draft saved Draft deleted