1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anchor hangs herself after legal issues hits the news - not Alicia Lane

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Write-brained, Feb 26, 2008.

1. 43-year-old Flint, Mich. anchor with some personal issues tried to get another station not to report her latest criminal activity because it would cost her her job. When her attempt failed, she hanged herself.

I don't blame the TV station for running the story, but they're no doubt feeling awful about it now.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080224/NEWS03/80224024/1001/news

Wangler, who had worked as a reporter on WDIV-TV Local 4, resigned last week from an anchor job at Lansing’s WLAJ-TV (Channel 53), where she went by the name Suzanne Page.

Dr. Patrick Cho of the Oakland County Medical Examiner’s Office conducted an autopsy Sunday and ruled the cause of death as hanging. He stopped short of officially declaring it a suicide, however, as Royal Oak police continue to investigate.

Wangler’s legal problems apparently began in November 2005 when records show she pushed a cart full of $600 in groceries out of a Berkley market and toward her parked SUV. She fled without the groceries, but police tracked her down and charged her with retail fraud.

“She appeared to be struggling with some issues at the time,” said Joseph Cross, who represented her in that case. “We attempted to expedite a resolution that would prevent her from having a criminal record.”

Wangler entered a first-time offender’s program with the hope the incident would quietly go away, Cross said. Instead, WDIV, her former employer, aired a report about the matter.

Wangler wanted to avoid a repeat, Marlinga said. She asked the former Macomb County prosecutor to try to keep WXYZ from airing a report about her latest problems because it would cost her the job in Lansing.

“They made a judgment that because she’s a reporter, there’s enough public interest to run the story,” Marlinga said, “but you can’t argue that Channel 7 necessarily caused this.”

After the first report aired earlier this month, Wangler resigned, and the Oakland County Prosecutor’s Office issued charges alleging that she’d embezzled from a man she’d dated and financially advised.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It must be sweeps for local TV.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

How in the world do you fit $600 worth of groceries in one cart?

That being said, sounds like a pretty fucked-up life.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Lots of black truffles and lobsters, the same way they do on Top Chef.

5. I wondered that, too - that's a whole lot of fucking lobster tail.

Edit: Damn you, Mystery.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Would it have happened anyway? Was WXYZ just the proverbial straw?

7. Probably. If the woman was any kind of news anchor, she should have known there was no way that story wasn't running. Which means she knew the consequences when she broke the law. And she did it anyway.

She couldn't help herself.

8. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Jeez, guys. Let us know how you truly feel.

In any case, it's a loss. Thoughts to her family in this time.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Obviously you're forgetting about Supermarket Sweep. And I'm sure Shop 'Til You Drop, which came on right after, at 6:30 p.m.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Nobody has trashed the woman. Get off your high horse, please. Thanks.

11. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

No, but there's plenty of cruel jokes that are pretty damn unnecessary on here, that's for sure.

The lady had some personal issues that she couldn't work out. I understand the tone is supposed to be a little light-hearted, but come on. Some things shouldn't be presented as such.

Excuse me for believing this is one of them.

12. Can you show me one?

Draft saved Draft deleted