1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Analyst: Gas prices to top $3.75 nationwide this spring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Kind of like Algore flying around in his personal jet almost daily and telling the rest of the world to lighten up on those kind of emissions to protect the environment.

Bush knows, it's just the puppeteers are telling him to just go so far in yacking about it, knowing full well that if an alternative is close to mass marketing status, they'll drop gas prices, reduce the economic pinch and keep their monopoly going.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You need a lesson in Scale 101:

If one person flying around in a jet can reach millions of people and convince them to change their energy habits, it is worth far more than if that person had pedaled his bicycle and reached only a tiny fraction of those people.

That I even need to explain something so basic is staggering.

3. Just wait until August/September right before election time. Gas might drop below $2.

Same thing happened in 2006.

4. Yawn

Yawn New Member

And right back to $3.75 in mid-November.

5. Could be, but 2-3 months of cheaper gas is something I can look forward to.

I know it's different across the country, but where I live, I've never paid more than $3. It's still ridiculously high, but "they" have been saying for years that gas was going to rocket to $4, and it's never happened.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

We've touched $3 a few times but it's held pretty steady between $2.70-$2.90 for awhile now. Still way too fucking much though.

7. BTExpress

Average household income has more than tripled since 1980.

Automobile prices have more than tripled since 1980.

Gasoline prices have barely doubled since 1980.

Perspective.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

People should be encouraged to use public transportation.
    That's the ticket!
    Or are we too good for that? Might our friends see us on, of all things, a city bus?!
    Or a scooter or a bicycle?

The Earth is dying. Too many cars and trucks and SUVs ! :'(

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Aside from major East Coast metros, there aren't many public transportation options in the USA.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I don't know about the $3.75 part, but I can't rule it out totally. Gas went up 20 cents overnight after Bhutto's assassination. For Darth and his Darthlets, any excuse will do, I suppose.

Don't expect a dip come next November. There's nothing to gain from it for the present administration since they are leaving office.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Problem is, gas prices have pretty much doubled in the last four years. It's one thing if everything creeps up at the same rate. When the gas price jumps that quickly while salaries stay the same, that's when you start to feel the pinch.

I think we live in the same state, Blitz. Not a whole lot of public transportation is heading out to Bubba's trailer, and it's tough to bike along either a) a two-lane highway with no shoulder; or b) an interstate. Like Inky said, unless you're in a major city -- mostly on the east coast -- public transportation just isn't an option.

12. BTExpress

I just means we had it very good for a long period of time. But we also have more high-mpg autos available than ever before. Doubling your gas mileage is the same as a 50% drop in the price of gasoline. But doing so may mean driving a different car than you would otherwise and --- horrors! --- driving the speed limit and driving efficiently instead of impatiently racing to the next red light.

Thank China for oversleeping as long as it did.

Draft saved Draft deleted