1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Analysis: The "Hating Game" with Barry Bonds

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by creamora, Apr 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. creamora

creamora Member

Gary Fraley on the "bandwagon-hopping" haters. I'll bet he's favorite in the sports journalism community.

http://blackathlete.net/artman/publish/article_03190.shtml

The 1998 race between the Cardinals' Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa of the Chicago Cubs to establish the single-season home run record became a warm and fuzzy story.

Now that questions have been raised about whether each slugger used performance-enhancing substances, the public is in a won't-be-fooled-again mode.

"A lot of players look bad now in light of the new information that we have,'' said Dr. Christian End, a professor of psychology at Xavier University who specializes in fan behavior.

There is an element of bandwagon-hopping at work. While on the faculty at the University of Missouri-Rolla, End would hear people say, "I hate Barry Bonds.''

When he asked why they had developed that sentiment, there was no answer. "It's a conformity to popular opinion,'' End said. "When people say they hate Barry Bonds or Jeff Gordon, you say you agree with that because everybody else does. But you don't have any tangible reason for that. It's as if it gets handed down.''

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

So you're saying Bonds wasn't proveably, demonstrably on 'roids?

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Let's get this straight. Many fans hate Barry Bonds because he is an ASSHOLE.

I say this as somebody who has always been a fan of his. But I understand exactly why people hate him, and he has earned a lot of that by acting like a spoiled brat and whining about what a victim he is.

Also, can we please keep this shit on one thread. I'm not usually a thread police type, but there are just too many damn Bonds threads to follow.

4. creamora

creamora Member

outofplace,

I guess your right. The Bonds haters are on all of the Bonds threads here. My bad.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Some of it isn't hate. Hell, I'll argue with anybody who tries to say he didn't use illegal PED's. He did. No, I didn't see him stick the needle in his ass and if we had proof, he would have been suspended by now. But that is part of journalism. Sometimes you know it, but you can't quite back it up enough for the story. Doesn't change what you know.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I know you are all about accuracy in the media, so you should know, it's Gerry Fraley, not Gary.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

21 1
    Creamora 0

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I think the score's up to like 21 500, Creamora 2 by now.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Slaughter rule mandated the score be reset to zero.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Hmmmm, I'll need to consult the rule book on that.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

"you've been creamed." {/Schwarzenegger voice}

[​IMG]

12. creamora

creamora Member

Watch out. The game is not over yet and I'm getting ready to make a come back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.