1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An unjust dismissal

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jr/shotglass, Dec 16, 2015.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

We were an early afternoon paper. Press rolled after our 10 a.m. or so deadline. Granted, I don't know the timeframe for other things that were printed, but I'm pretty sure the press didn't operate all night.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How many days a week do you print a paper?

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

i don't run the press, so I don't print anything but paper comes out seven days a week.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Herald never closed. Doors always open. To me anyway, that was a significant part of the romance of the business. It was one of the hardest parts of adjusting to a job in a "normal" company that people went home at night and they closed it down.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Huh. For some reason, I had it in my head that you worked at a weekly/group of weeklies. I guess I was mistaken.

Even so, fewer and fewer papers are putting out a dead tree edition seven days per week.

6. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

I agree with your post as a whole, but I don't know if unique is the correct word in speaking of newspapers. I have worked in the newspaper biz as a sports writer in various capacities at mid-sized and metro dailies for the last 30+ years. No other companies are similar to newspapers, where the primary goal financially is to cut the newsroom employees salary and not give raises because they're so selfish with advertising departments and other entities. The people that are doing the laying off, etc., are the ones that aren't putting in the hours and bringing qualty work to the table. It's hard to have loyalty to newspaper companies, when they show no loyalty to begin with, even when they invest money in you as a supervisor.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  7. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

The publisher seemed to come across as a weak-kneed, insecure yet egotistical bastard with his own interests ranking as a top priority. He needs to be more open-minded about opinions and comments from others, growing a thicker skin like a lizard, if you will. He is supposed to be a newsroom leader, not a warden, a community leader and watchdog, and should always welcome ideas of others, like some people's views on the right to bear arms.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You could say, "I don't agree with your initial assertion that the sun is hot," and you would be only slightly more nuts.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

YankeeFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted