1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An unjust dismissal

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jr/shotglass, Dec 16, 2015.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Not on the same scale.

My town has a medium sized airport and it shuts down for about six hours at night.

Newspapers never close.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

An airport isn't the same as an airline. An airline, typically, is a 24/7 proposition.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I worked at a newspaper that typically had no one working between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m. I'm sure we weren't the only one.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

You can also add police and fire departments. There's so many levels of bureaucracy and so much politics that the people in positions of power are not at all relatable to the rank and file. Also, I don't think they close even in Jay's world.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Not a private business though.

Airlines are 24/7/365.

Opps is open at all times.

The workforce is as diverse as you will see. MBAs working in scheduling and revenue management. Ex-military as pilots. Union mechanics. Baggage handlers requiring no degree.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Why would the publisher need to meet with you to have his hiring philosophy carried out if he hired the human resources people and the top editors who all know how to follow his instructions about hiring? And while they may not care about the political leanings of page designer or an agate clerk, they may very well care about those of the people who cover city hall or state government or politics.

It's no accident that papers owned by conservatives have conservative slants and newspapers owned by less conservative people have less conservative slants.

Of course, not all newspaper owners practice the same level of ideological zealotry in their operations, either.

7. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Oh, they all had an agenda: to make money. You just didn't notice it because it used to be easy enough to do a there was little sense in meddling and jeopardizing the public trust in the brand. If an advertiser didn't like something, you could easily find a new one. Not so, anymore. Alma and YF are both right. Newsrooms are absolutely unique work environments in the same sense that a locker room or a police department is a unique work environment. Among the rank and file. On the management side, every business is the same.

I Should Coco and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  8. Mr. Sunshine

Most newspapers have conservative publishers. The majority of newsroom employees -- from top editors on down -- are liberals. How does that happen, chemical reaction? How do all the conservatives specifically hired to do a publisher's bidding keep turning into liberals?

9. cranberry

I don't agree with your initial assertion that the majority of newsroom employees are liberal.

10. Mr. Sunshine

That's funnier than anything Baron has posted.

11. cranberry

You're wrong about a lot of things. I can't concern myself with that.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Sure, in the newsroom.

Newsroom is just a leg in multi-leg stool.

Circulation gets rolling after the press stops. At my place they start about 2 and go until 10:30 a.m.

By the time their day ends, everything has started back up again.

Draft saved Draft deleted