1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An unjust dismissal

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jr/shotglass, Dec 16, 2015.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I worked for four newspapers and a wire service in my career. Only one of them was owned by someone peddling an agenda.

I was fortunate enough to work for two publishers who did journalism the right way. They valued collaboration, conflict and dissent among their lieutenants, who in turn valued it from their people. And the product was better for it.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's great, but it's not the norm. And, it never was.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

We current and former journalists don't know our industry very well. Can you tell us?

4. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Every single publisher has an agenda. They "did journalism the right way" since it made the paper money in that market.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

You still insist you can speak for newsrooms, but you can't. You can only speak for the "I hate newsrooms" crowd.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It is better to have once had a day than never to have had one at all.

[​IMG]

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

In general, sports journalists are the least informed members of a newsroom in regard to how a newsroom operates.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Uh oh, I almost agree with this. Generally speaking, reporters who are always out and about won't have much of an idea on what it takes to get the newspaper out.

People are conflating publisher with owner. Most publishers are hired hands with goals to hit. Owners can have agendas. Besides just making money, the agenda can also include winning awards and dominating the market.

That can lead to some exceptional work in markets of all sizes.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

There are reporters on the news side, too. A lot of the ignorance re: the inner workings is a symptom of sports being left to its own devices. But then there are some dumb sports journalists.

10. YankeeFan

I don't claim any "inside info".

It was a real question. Is there not a simple answer?

11. YankeeFan

Family members held the title of Publisher at the Times, WSJ, WaPo, LATimes and others for decades.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Your posting history would suggest you think at least some of the journalists here don't know the industry very well and tend to frame it in ways that seem naive and immature. So I'd think you'd be able to discern for yourself when this age was, or perhaps it never happened, or perhaps it was shot through with an unearned optimism. What do you think?

Draft saved Draft deleted