1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An unjust dismissal

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jr/shotglass, Dec 16, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Don't worry, OOP will be along later to chastise me for not clearly stating my position.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

YF must be a heavy handed business owner with an axe to grind to be such a subject matter expert.

3. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Perhaps. But after seeing his performance in the San Bernardino thread, I know better than to engage him for more than a couple of posts. I have things I need to do today.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Haven't fired anyone yet. Same guy had been with me for nine years.

Have gotten fired plenty of times. But it was never my fault.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Finally, you say something I believe.

Riptide likes this.
  6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You really are going Baron today.

It was never his fault either.

YankeeFan likes this.
  7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

A cappuccino executive with an axe to grind. Yeah, I sure wouldn't want to get burned by him.

You know, you questioned once why your occupation gets tossed around. And I guess what it comes down to is, regardless of the myriad problems in journalism today, you are definitely not one to hold any high ground, moral, sarcastic or otherwise. To me, that can be referenced as often as is necessary.

Outside of that, I'm positive you are a peach and lots of fun at parties.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    Riptide and BitterYoungMatador2 like this.
  8. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Publisher seems like an asshat, but ultimately its her family's paper and if she wants to fire an editor for reasons that don't violate federal or state labor law, that's entirely her prerogative.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And she turned down a $5000 severance-for-silence deal. My hat's off to her.

10. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

It's cute when journalists believe ownership should not get involved in editorial decisions, and that's always been the case.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Only been fired once, and, no, it wasn't my fault, unless you want to say the other dozen people who were fired with me deserved it, too.

12. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

If you weren't valuable enough for the employer to keep you around, in a sense, you "deserved" it.

Draft saved Draft deleted