1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An SJ.com tradition: Favorite Halloween candy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Idaho, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I love Dots, especially the tropical flavor.

Sucks that there are only about 8-10 kids in my apartment building -- they all come at once. My daughter will be trick or treating for the first time as Cinderella. We're giving away M&Ms. Packages -- not individual candies.

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Big fan of Smarties, myself. The wife bought this year, and went with M+Ms and 3Musketeers bars.

I keep a candy jar on my desk here, and switch up between chocolate and more sugary things like Smarties. As you could imagine, the females at our office are always good-naturedly bitching when the chocolate runs out.

rb

3. When they're getting them in the public schools anyway?
    No chance, pal.
    (BTW, is that guy Sali, whom all the Republicans called an idiot, actually going to win?)

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Whatever happened to that candy bar tournament someone was hosting at DyePack's site?

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Going back to the olden days, a couple favorites that I don't think you see anymore (maybe one still can catch one) were wax chewing candy and Pixie Stix.

The wax candy (I don't know of a better way to describe it than a cross between gum and candle wax in some creative shapes). Might be shaped like a pair of lips that you could wear and when done chew it up. The best was this little whistle/harmonica that you could actually play until you, again, decided to chew it up. Sounds gross, and I guess maybe it was. Probably was coated with asbestos....

Pixie stix were the child's equivalent to cocaine. Let's just put a bunch of sugar powder in a little straw like tube and let the kids just rip the top off and slug it down. Immediate sugar high.

Now, in my adult days, my Halloween favorite is peppermint.

As in schapps. As in the flask in my jacket as I traverse the neighborhood. Cheers.

6. I actually liked the chewy wax bottles that had the sub-KoolAid juice in them.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Holy crap, I didn't realize Kirk and Fenian were that old.

Pixie sticks and those wax juice bottles roooled!

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Spinited and I attended the very first North American Halloween trick or treatin'.

We liked the popcorn balls and candy apples.

(Seriously, old enough to remember when lots of people handed out home-made goodies. But as far as factory produced stuff goes, I was always partial to the Halloween candy kisses. Kinda like salt water taffy, particularly the orange ones.
    I think it may have been a Canadian thing.)

This year I'm giving out Noah's Ark Gummie Animals:

[​IMG]

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

God help me for shilling my part time house of horrors (Crack Barrel), but they do sell an awful lot of candies that you forgot about. We have the wax candy lips (not sure about the bottles, but we might), neopolitan coconuts, Skybars, gross ass horehound candies, and a few others I forget.

100 Grand > you

10. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

11. Fried eggs and beer.

My wife and I are from France.

Yeah that's it.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I got a rock

Draft saved Draft deleted