1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An offensive situation

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yep. There's nothing to say at that point.

2. boots

boots New Member

I'm not black but that's not the issue. I grew up on NWA and I know Eazy-E's music. And anyone on these threads will tell you I've always spelled Amerikkka this way.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Give them a disgusted look, and walk out. I think it was F_H, who once said, "You can't argue with stupid."

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Advice that if taken to heart by many here -- myself included -- would probably greatly reduce the number of threads which take nasty, name-calling turns.

Something to think about.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I usually say exactly what I think and, surprisingly, nobody's punched me yet. Maybe they think I'm crazy and they'd better not mess with me.

6. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

I was covering a semi-pro baseball game two summers ago and sitting behind the owner of one of the sponsors, who was with a woman from his office. there was hardly anyone else in the bleachers (shocking) and he was clearly trying to impress her with how much money he had and how he was considering retiring and moving down to Virginia or North Carolina ... "somewhere down south. It's nice down there ... the blacks are much more cordial than up here (in New England) because of slavery."

I didn't say anything. I'm still not sure what I even could have said, but it still bugs me that I just sat there shaking my head for the rest of the game.

7. boots

boots New Member

It just bothers the fuck out of me that there are people still thinking like this in 07.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

And the people in 208 are no bargain, either. In fact, I'm calling down to the desk right now to see if we can change rooms.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I'm fairly sure M. Meat is joking here. But if not, replacing 'c' with 'k' in the word 'America' is a pretty old agitprop tool. 'Amerika' was an absolutely standard spelling on banners and signs in the protests of the 60s (harking back to the German spelling and the Nazis, as well as Kafka); and we were spelling it 'Amerikkka' on signs and banners during protests (mostly against things like apartheid, US intrusions in Latin America, and corporations like Nestle selling unsafe baby formula in the Third World) in the mid- and late 70s.

10. girl friday

girl friday Member

Hey at least the racist piece of shit assumed that the nigger was edu-ma-cated!! ;D

11. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

i once was at a babe ruth game in north carolina, when a freshman sat next to me and this kid i was sitting next to. he said, out of nowhere, 'Let's start a nazi party'. I just stared at him, and the kid next to me then kindly informed the moron I was jewish. after looking at me for a moment (i look very middle eastern apparently), he started to laugh. I did not and politley asked him if his head was up his ass. he responded by stammering something about seeing it on the history channel, to which i retorted 'and you thought it looked cool?' i wanted to throw his ass down the bleachers and then pummel him, but i don't think he knew any better.

it's sad that there are still many people that feel this way and the example by boots. all you can do is point out they are wrong and they should be ashamed for how they feel. usually the shaking head and a dirty look is enough.

12. boots

boots New Member

I don't think that jackass could spell edumacated if you spotted him all 10 letters.

Draft saved Draft deleted